• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Medical oxygen tank-Sale or trade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atticmonkey

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I recently bought a medical oxygen tank at an auction for use in a wort aeration system. Then comes to find out that I have to have a prescription to get it filled or exchanged. So im thinking that it might not be worth the effort to find someone to give me the rx for it. So dont know if anybody else could use it or not. So if anybody would like to buy it im asking $15 or also willing to trade for beer or brewing stuff. So if anybody is intrested let me know. Thanks.

Jason

to get medical oxygen from a reputable source you need a script.

industrial oxygen is the same thing. get it filled with that

From what the guy at airgas told me they only do exchanges with medical oxygen tanks. I cant understand why you need a script for oxygen? But he said it was an FDA thing so I don't think there is much getting around it.

airgas? where's that at?
what about BOC gas by superbowl & staples?
sounds like you might get the same answer from them but I suppose it's worth a try.

(what do I know about gas though? I'm a bottling, carboy shaking guy)

edit: yeah, ask 'em for industrial gas

it is an FDA thing, and there is no getting around it. its worth a try to stop in somewhere else. even if you can find a welding supply shop. possibly a smaller scale one they should be able to fill it with industrial o2 for you

if not, get rid of it, its not worth the trouble

Well I checked the tank and I can't find anything that states anything about medical use but the valve at the top is different then an industrial tank would have. And the one place told me that they only did exchanges but I may give another place a call today. I dont know if my doctor would give me a script for o2 or not. My only other choice is to swap it with some old lady when she's not looking. Just kidding, not gonna get that low.

I've been waiting for my medical tank to run out of gas to see if I'm going to have the same problem or not. I wouldn't be opposed to changing out the valve if that made the difference although I do like the fine tuning of a med regulator.

From what the guy at airgas told me they only do exchanges with medical oxygen tanks. I cant understand why you need a script for oxygen? But he said it was an FDA thing so I don't think there is much getting around it.

Why not do the exchange??
That's the only option with C02 where I live.

They wont even do the exchange without a prescription. Looks like I'm going to have to go with one of those disposable tanks you get at the hardware store.

You should just buy the whole mapp oxy torch kit while you at it :D

It comes with an oxy tank

Yeah I could probably ship it, might be expensive its fairly heavy. Somewhere around 12#. If you wanna give me your zip code I could get a quote and let you know.

I get around it by having friends in the EMS world. They just put mine in with their tanks when the get all theirs filled.

Please do not ship your tank if it still has gas under pressure. That's a HUGE hazard (and very illegal). If it's empty, ship it with the valve open.

My zip is 32771
Yuri----He already stated that the tank is empty. That is why his is trying to sell it because he can't get it filled.

My zip is 32771
Yuri----He already stated that the tank is empty. That is why his is trying to sell it because he can't get it filled.

Looks like the shipping is gonna run 13.82 with ups. So if you are still interested let me know.

I've been waiting for my medical tank to run out of gas to see if I'm going to have the same problem or not. I wouldn't be opposed to changing out the valve if that made the difference although I do like the fine tuning of a med regulator.

You do need a RX to get the medical Oxygen tanks filled. They do make O2 regulators with the setting from 1/2 to 15 L/M that fit on welding oxygen tanks.

did you explain to the guy at airgas what the situation is? I don't mean getting him to fill the tank but I can't see why he couldn't exchange for a comparable non medical O2 tank.

My kegging setup came with a medical oxygen canister that was converted to CO2. I believe to do this you have to change up the valve. Something to look into...mine holds 4lbs of CO2.

Just a thought....

Well im running out of options. I took the o2 tank into airgas and asked if I could get it filled with industrial grade oxygen. He said they had no way of filling it because the valve is a cga870 not a 540 like most industrial tanks have. They wont exchange it for anything but if I wanted to buy a new tank from them they would be happy to set me up, for about 120 bucks.

I just ordered the SABCO CHILL WIZARD but have not received it yet....

In order to utilize the oxygen injection option, I went to AIRGAS (a welding supply company here in Orlando) today and bought a regulator + tank.

Does the industrial/welding style oxygen tank differ from Medical grade oxygen?

-Tim

Medical grade is just FDA approved.... I think it has more H20 then Welding O2.
Industrial grade is good to go...

I have a welding O2 tank that has a regulator with flow meter... works like a charm with the Chillwizard

Well I checked the tank and I can't find anything that states anything about medical use but the valve at the top is different then an industrial tank would have. And the one place told me that they only did exchanges but I may give another place a call today. I dont know if my doctor would give me a script for o2 or not. My only other choice is to swap it with some old lady when she's not looking. Just kidding, not gonna get that low.

:p

Local homebrew club have a doctor as a member?

Actually for a script for medical o2 to be "legal" per se, it must be medically necessary - that's why a lot of docs won't write these as freely as we would think.

Does the industrial/welding style oxygen tank differ from Medical grade oxygen?

-Tim

The valves are differnt. Medical valves are a little more fool proof in their design. Don't want little old lady's blowing up the neighbor hood.

Hey guys,
I recently bought a medical oxygen tank at an auction for use in a wort aeration system. Then comes to find out that I have to have a prescription to get it filled or exchanged. So im thinking that it might not be worth the effort to find someone to give me the rx for it. So dont know if anybody else could use it or not. So if anybody would like to buy it im asking $15 or also willing to trade for beer or brewing stuff. So if anybody is intrested let me know. Thanks.

Jason

Is there any problems with it and how big is it. Where are you located and can you ship it? it needs to be empty in order to ship but if your near by I will come & pick it up. call me two zero six 877 two 756. or Markojesus01hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back