hop help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrog

Reaction score
Hey all. If all goes well I'm going to brew an APA Sunday and I need some help with my hop schedule. I had some ideas floating around in my head but it's not comeing together yet. I'm looking for good flavor and aroma. Heres what I have so far:

3 lbs XL DME
4.25 lbs Maris Otter Pale Malt
1 lbs Munich
0.75 Crystal 40L
0.75 Honey Malt

Hops I have on hand:
1 oz Chinook 11.4 AA
1 oz Centennial 8.5 AA
1 oz Columbus 14.2 AA
1 oz Amarillo 7.5 AA
0.8 oz Cascade ?? AA

Looing forward to any feedback :mug:

Here's a suggestion. Do a Chinook or Columbus addition at 60 (0.5 oz), then do 1.0 oz at 10 half Amarillo-half Centennial. Then do another 1.0 oz same as 10 min at flameout.

I didn't put your recipe in a spreadsheet but you could adjust your 60 minute for the majority of the bitterness. Backend loading the hops should give you good flavor and aroma. If you wanted you could throw in another 0.5 of the Cascade at 0.

Thanks for the help, Weetodd. I think that should work good. Although I may go back and get more hops for dry hopping. I would think the Amarillo would work but what else would go with it?

You could just do the Cascade for the dry hop instead of adding it at flame out.

Amarillo, cascade, centennial all work together and have similar grapefruity, citrusy type flavors. I tend to find amarillo to give off a orange-pineappley character.

Using chinook for bittering will also allow some of the chinook flavour to show through in the beer.
I'm partial to cascade, and would much rather use it for flavour, and use the amerillo for aroma.

Ok based on what boo boo and weetodd I decied to do the following:

1 oz chinook 60min

0.40 oz cascade 10min
0.50 oz centennial 10min

0.40 cascade 5min
0.50 amarillo 5min

0.50 centennial 0min
0.50 amarillo 0min

dry hop will be some sort of a mix of 1 or more of the following:
cascade
amarillo
centennial
I have time to think about this one.

Thanks for the input guys. It was a big help.

Back