Oyster Beer...really?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Clay

Reaction score
Seems like Flying Fish Brewery is making an oyster beer with oysters in the batch. Am I just a sucker, or is this for real? Oysters? I love'em and all, I even have an annual huge oyster roast on New Years Day. But Oyster Beer? I really can't imagine a more unappealing sounding beer.

I had one at Barleys in Asheville... it was a stout or port, IIRC, and it definately had a different note to it... not too strong. If you had me taste it blind, I would not have said oysters... but it had this not really salty... but????

Try it if you have the chance!

Oyster stouts have been 'round for some time but are on the rare side. Yard's Love Stout was originally an oyster stout.

you know you want to brew one for your oyster roast... here is a link to the old BYO recipe

If you just want a stout for your roast... I have a great one up right now... has smoke malt, rye malt and oats... really good flavor.

No dough yet, Mike. But the malt mill is ready to do its thing. I had to get through the morning brew first. You know, I should try that for the oyster roast. I can't imagine it would be a big hit, but it would definitely be a conversation starter.

Ram's Head Tavern in Annapolis used to serve and Oyster Stout. It was a very subtle, and a perfect complement to seafood! I hate to say it, but I enjoyed it with all seafood that I ate with the exception of crabs. It's crap beer, but there's nothing I love more than an ice cold Natty Boh with crabs.

It's an Oyster, or "Love" stout. Those are actually pretty good. Yards brewing company in Philadelphia has been making a seasonal Love Stout for years and is it's their most popular seasonal. Apparently, several years ago it used to be called Yards Oyster Stout and the one bar it was on sale at wasn't able to sell a single glass. The bar owner then asked if he could call it a Love Stout, he got the OK, and the batch quickly sold out.

It's coming up on Love Stout season. Have to make sure I get me some. :)

edit: Oh I see brewt00l already mentioned Yards.

Ram's Head Tavern in Annapolis used to serve and Oyster Stout. It was a very subtle, and a perfect complement to seafood! I hate to say it, but I enjoyed it with all seafood that I ate with the exception of crabs. It's crap beer, but there's nothing I love more than an ice cold Natty Boh with crabs.
Ram's Head beer is brewed by Fordham in Delaware I believe. I drank a lot of the Oyster Stout at the Savage Ram's Head and it was pretty good. The oaked stout they have now is pretty good too.

I'm pretty sure they dropped the oysters a few years ago..Though the only reference I could find still around is Lew Bryson mentioning it back in 2008 in a comment on Stan Hieronymus' blog, about oyster stout no less:

http://appellationbeer.com/blog/scallop-stout-whats-next-monkfish/

In my quest to drop one more name into this post, perhaps someone should email Tom Kehoe ;)

Perhaps. I coulda sworn the guy (Toby) giving the tour at Yards two weeks ago said it was still an oyster stout. Maybe I just misheard him. Toby's a cool guy with an apparently awesome memory - he used to work at Flying Fish and my girlfriend and I went there last year when the area got hit by that tropical storm. A year later, my girlfriend and I walk down to Yards to check on the status of their tasting room and Toby's there, and immediately remembered us. We totally had no idea who he was.

I suppose I must have heard of an oyster stout at some point (although those brain cells were apparently CHHHCHHOHed).

Maybe I figured it was like the "Cream" Stout. A beer derived from bovines seem more plausible to me than one derived from molluscs!

Thanks for the info, all. I'm going to hunt one down and give it a go.

Perhaps. I coulda sworn the guy (Toby) giving the tour at Yards two weeks ago said it was still an oyster stout. Maybe I just misheard him. Toby's a cool guy with an apparently awesome memory - he used to work at Flying Fish and my girlfriend and I went there last year when the area got hit by that tropical storm. A year later, my girlfriend and I walk down to Yards to check on the status of their tasting room and Toby's there, and immediately remembered us. We totally had no idea who he was.

That's pretty cool considering the number of people he has likely taken on tours at the breweries.:mug:

The Lobster Trap, a restaurant in Asheville, N.C., recently launched "Oysterhouse Brewing." As the name would lead you to believe, their claim to fame is an oyster stout.

I haven't been to Asheville since I moved from there last year -- and I don't like oysters -- but the next time I make it up that way I'll be sure to try one.

Latest posts

Back