leaving hops in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maboitan

Reaction score
about two weeks ago i started my first fermentation. the instructions i had told me to transfer the cooled wort into my fermenter and to not attempt to strain the wort at this point, so i didn't and i left my bittering, flavoring and aroma hops in my fermenter (in their mesh baggies) along with my wort and yeast. will me leaving my hops in the fermenter negatively effect my beer? will it be super hoppy (in a bad way)?

also, the color of my beer appears good but on the top on my beer in the fermenter there are a couple of these big clumps of doughy looking things. are these normal? good/bad thing?

one last question. i am going to be using a bottling bucket. the sugar i had when bottling, do i boil that in water and add to bottling bucket or just add the sugar (in powder form) directly to bottling bucket with with beer in it?

thanks for the help!
-Matt

Tho hops in the bottom of the carboy will not kill the beer but is not needed. So once you get comfortable with the process it's a tweak yo can do to improve your beer another tiny bit.

Just get a strainer and when you are pouring your wort into the carboy have it pass over the strainer. It's not ultra crucial but it's a good thing to do.

clumps of doughy looking things

Again - maybe not NORMAL but all sorts of odd things happen so no worries.

Boil the water, add the sugar - let cool. dump in bottom of bucket and when you siphon into the bucket it will all blend together . . in theory. another wonder of nature LOL

Latest posts

Back