IPA first ever batch question? help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digg

Reaction score
My buddy and I brewed up the first batch about 36 hrs ago and he's keeping it and the basement but he is concerned that the temp is to high even in the basement 80 F. does anyone have any suggestions?... help

80 degrees is about 12 degrees too high!

I use an igloo cooler, and put my fermenter in that with some water and frozen water bottles. It helps if you have a stick on thermometer on the outside of the fermenter (like an aquarium thermometer), so you can read the temperature INside. If the ambient temperature is 80 degrees, it could be 88 degrees inside due to the heat generated by fermentation.

You could also cover the fermenter with damp towels, and blow a fan on it. That would help.

80 degrees is to high. I would put it an ice bath and try to ferment in the high 60's at most. You may get some off favors due to the high temps.

I put mine in a bathtub. Fill the tub up as high as it will go without overflowing/going into the overflow drain. Put a old t-shirt over your carboy so it wicks the water up the sides and keeps the part that is not in the water cool as well. Depending on the Outside air temps you can use ice bottles to regulate. I find in my house 1 to 2 12 oz ice bottles a day keep it at a steady 68f.

If your bathtub is painted with an Enamel finish be hesitant about leaving water in there for to long. Today(day 8 in primary) I feel the bottom of tub and feel a bunch of little bubbles, somehow the water got under the paint and made tiny tiny bubbles all around. If you are using a painted tub I suggest draining your water every so often and letting it dry. If you have a fiberglass standard tub im sure it will be fine.

I went out and bought a 17 gal bucket where she will be untill bottle time. Means adding ice more often but no beer is worth a 200 dollar refinish job on a tub.

Back