A good recipe to brew for Lent fasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenfitz3

Reaction score
Hello, it's too late for this year, but I am thinking about getting some recipes together for homebrews I can fast with for Lent. I basically want to do an all beer, hot tea, kombucha, and water diet for Lent next year. I am looking for something lower in alcohol (so I can consume more and not get too wasted) but really high in calories and nutrients and still tastes pretty good. Any suggestions? I am still new to homebrewing, so not really sure what I should try. I noticed my last couple of homebrews were very low in alcohol, so I figured homebrew would be a good option, espically if I keg with extra yeast for the extra nutrients. I may try a non-alcoholic beer I can drink at work or just stick with kombucha. A friend of mine makes kombucha with hops for a beer like flavored kombucha, so that might work for lunch at work.

Anyway, I thought I would throw that out there to the forum to see what suggestions people had.

Later!

A 4% porter dry hopped with t-bone steak. Sorry I couldn't help myself. I will think and try to come up with some good suggestions since I have thought of this myself.

Yeah, I was about to suggest that, too. I think it's a great idea, although my body simply wouldn't allow it. Nor would my wife.

Good luck. I'll be following the thread, because I consider it to be useful information.

I would want something in the wheat family...between the wheat protein and the low floccuating yeast, anything with 50+% wheat that's fermented with a proper wheat/hefe yeast would be very high in nutrients and probiotics. Anything wheaty is going to give you the best High Calorie/Low ABV ratio.

Weiss, American Wheat, Hefewiezen, Dunkelweizen, Dunkelbock, Roggenbeir, etc.

Go for under-attenuation. This leaves more residual sugars and will bulk up the body. Mash high, boil for two hours, use Munich malt as your base. Throw in some unmalted barley and wheat. Use a low attenuating yeast, like a Scottish yeast. Ferment cool, and your good to go.

Wow, thanks everyone for the suggestions! It gives me some great ideas. I am currently reading John J Palmer's book on how to brew and just read the section on malts last night. Oh my gosh! I am amazed at what you can do with the unlimited combinations of yeast, malts, and hops. Its amazing Monks were able to fast on beer hundreds of years ago with absolutely no knowledge of the existence of yeast and a vastly more limited range in the types of malts they had access to. I am sure with some experimentation and the access to resources we have in this day in age, there is a much more highly nutritious and sustainable recipe to be created. This will be fun to try.

Hope this helps buddy. I read about this last year. He drank a dopplebock 4 times a day.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/06/for-lent-can-man-live-by-brew-alone/
The guy lives about two hours SE of me, made all the local headlines at the time. He's since written a book, which is an excellent read. Covered his research into the dopplebock style and recipe, his preparation for the fast, and his daily/weekly journal through the fast, as well as his 'return' to normal foods after. I highly suggest it to any beer lover.

The blog

The book

Last edited by a moderator:
Back