What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As often as I see it here, is Lagunitas Sucks really that good?????

No. Imo it's the worst lagunitas brew... and i love all the others! flame on folks but they named it sucks for a reason and it's nothing to do with the substitution. Brown sugga, lucky 13, red, lil sumpin, hop stoopid, are all excellent imo but i tried 2 sucks and there is no way I'm choking down a 3rd one...

No. Imo it's the worst lagunitas brew... and i love all the others! flame on folks but they named it sucks for a reason and it's nothing to do with the substitution. Brown sugga, lucky 13, red, lil sumpin, hop stoopid, are all excellent imo but i tried 2 sucks and there is no way I'm choking down a 3rd one...

I don't think it's as good as it portraits to be on here. But I don't think it's complete garbage either. It's ok. I haven't had Brown Shugga yet

SFGiantsFan925 said:
Thanks guys. Its been a horrible day for both of us. Woke up to a terrible phone call. He has led an amazing life and has a lot of really good miles on him. We all kinda knew it was coming, but in the moment it just sucks. Hard, when I am a paramedic myself, and I see stuff like this everyday, but in turn cant do anything to help the pain of family. So is life....

Not sure what to have next. The 120 min IPA was not really what I thought it was going to be. But, I might just have to switch to scotch. A bottle of Glenfiddich 12 year is calling my name haha.

I'll be thinking about you and your family. I lost both grandfathers to cancer and before they passed we knew it was coming any time. Even if you know it's inevitable and come to terms with it, it's still tough.

On a different note, how was that 120 min. I've seen it around but never bought it. I've never been too impressed with DFH so I always just passed it up.

I'll be thinking about you and your family. I lost both grandfathers to cancer and before they passed we knew it was coming any time. Even if you know it's inevitable and come to terms with it, it's still tough.

On a different note, how was that 120 min. I've seen it around but never bought it. I've never been too impressed with DFH so I always just passed it up.

Thanks Wes. My wife and I have had a terrible few months. Makes us stronger, but Im tired of all the bad news and bad **** happening to us. Just want to finally start the up swing.

I was able to get the DFH 120 in a trade. Reading the label, I was excited, thinking it was going to be some amazing, hoppy, IIPA, with balanced malt and a great hoppy nose, and taste, with biterness. Well, like I said, it to me tastes like a hot version of the Oskar Blues G'Knight, which is an Imperial Amber. The DFH 120 has very little if any hops on the nose, not a whole lot of bitterness, and to me almost tastes like a Barleywine over any type of IIPA that I have have ever had. If it were readily available around here, I wouldn't buy it again. I have yet to be impressed by any DFH stuff. And its funny with how hyped up they are. I guess for me out here on the West coast, its hard to spend that much mediocre beer, when we have so much good stuff out here.

HPIM2003.jpg

Oh yeah!!!

750 ml of the new bottle Three Philosophers Quad. Hadn't tried it before, the cherry was quite tasty.

just finished a devils milk from duclaw. First beer from them that has been really good all there others are just eh ok but this one was pretty tasty. says its a barley wine style ale but i didn't really see that and didn't get a buzz really but was still tasty and would drink another for sure

Chuu said:
750 ml of the new bottle Three Philosophers Quad. Hadn't tried it before, the cherry was quite tasty.

Buy another and let it age a while. I have a few of the 2012 edition that I am keeping for a while. The time makes the cherry come through even more. Great beer.

Buy another and let it age a while. I have a few of the 2012 edition that I am keeping for a while. The time makes the cherry come through even more. Great beer.

I actually got this one today because I got one of the older design bottles just before Christmas time that I've got in the wine cooler aging with the 2011 Fuller's Vintage ale. Only could get one bottle of the Fullers so I figured I better let it age, anyone had that one before?

Doing some studying I see. :rockin: I wish I had bought some individual style books to study with. I mostly studied the style guidelines, obviously, Designing Great Beers and Brewing Classic Styles.

Having another 3 Beans. Good stuff.

Attachments

• 20130203_010300.jpg
    20130203_010300.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 122
Doing some studying I see. :rockin: I wish I had bought some individual style books to study with. I mostly studied the style guidelines, obviously, Designing Great Beers and Brewing Classic Styles.

Having another 3 Beans. Good stuff.

This is more like technical research for my own brewing, but yes, it's helping with that too. I have to give a presentation on English pale ale and hopping throughout the brewing process in a few weeks. I've read BCS, some parts over and over and plan on getting DGB at the urging of the girl running the class.

HPIM2005.jpg
And, of course a li'l beer never hurt. :mug:

This is more like technical research for my own brewing, but yes, it's helping with that too. I have to give a presentation on English pale ale and hopping throughout the brewing process in a few weeks. I've read BCS, some parts over and over and plan on getting DGB at the urging of the girl running the class.

View attachment 98483
And, of course a li'l beer never hurt. :mug:

In my opinion, Designing Great Beers is up there with BCS, How To Brew, and Yeast, as a must-read for any homebrewer.

Although I don't really consider BCS a book you "read" per se, as much just general reference. I read specific sections when I need them.

In my opinion, Designing Great Beers is up there with BCS, How To Brew, and Yeast, as a must-read for any homebrewer.

Although I don't really consider BCS a book you "read" per se, as much just general reference. I read specific sections when I need them.

Jamil gives very good summaries of what to expect from each style in BCS, which is why it's such a great book. I'm looking forward to getting into DGB, I've heard a lot of good things.

SFGiantsFan925 said:
I was able to get the DFH 120 in a trade. Reading the label, I was excited, thinking it was going to be some amazing, hoppy, IIPA, with balanced malt and a great hoppy nose, and taste, with biterness. Well, like I said, it to me tastes like a hot version of the Oskar Blues G'Knight, which is an Imperial Amber. The DFH 120 has very little if any hops on the nose, not a whole lot of bitterness, and to me almost tastes like a Barleywine over any type of IIPA that I have have ever had. If it were readily available around here, I wouldn't buy it again. I have yet to be impressed by any DFH stuff. And its funny with how hyped up they are. I guess for me out here on the West coast, its hard to spend that much mediocre beer, when we have so much good stuff out here.

Looks like I'll probably just keep passing it up then. I agree about the hype for DFH. It's a shame their beer doesn't live up to it, atleast in my opinion.

Jamil gives very good summaries of what to expect from each style in BCS, which is why it's such a great book. I'm looking forward to getting into DGB, I've heard a lot of good things.

He definitely does. Perhaps for a BJCP exam it makes more sense, but for my purposes, I jump to the specific style I'm looking for at the time (namely if I've never brewed that style before). I wouldn't get much use out of reading it cover to cover, as I would from other books.

He definitely does. Perhaps for a BJCP exam it makes more sense, but for my purposes, I jump to the specific style I'm looking for at the time (namely if I've never brewed that style before). I wouldn't get much use out of reading it cover to cover, as I would from other books.

I've done that a lot with that book, that's why I love it so much. I read it all the way through when I first got it, then beat the hell out of it each time I brew a new style.

allenH said:
I wish. Babysitter took an hour and a half to get 3 subs. I was watching the spawn and cussing the sitter. I can't really complain, she didn't charge for the sitting and she bought my lunch, she should, it's her wedding I'm making it for.

Haha, nice! I've been there many times (the no sitter part)! I have to rely on family when I need someone to watch the kiddos, which is few and far between nowadays.
I'm looking for another sled now, probably gonna be either a Super Glide, or a Road Glide (whatever I can afford). Hope it all turns out good for ya!

DGB is fvckin' intense, man. He goes way way deep into brewing science and theory as well as history. Between BCS for learning the styles and DGB for technical knowledge and history that's probably enough to get good scores on both the tasting and written exams.

EDIT: Forgot why I was here. Drinking my Belma/2-row SMaSH

20130203_022800.jpg

WesleyS said:
Looks like I'll probably just keep passing it up then. I agree about the hype for DFH. It's a shame their beer doesn't live up to it, atleast in my opinion.

Think of DFH as Metallica. First few albums are absolute classics. Got famous, went nuts, now they make ridiculous garbage.

I literally have no words to describe this beer. I was concerned when I saw "Yams" on the label. But believe it or not I can actually taste the Yams. What an amazing beer. So so good.

There's a brewery in my neck of the woods that brewed a sweet potato ale as their fall seasonal this year. It was amazingly good, tons of character and it almost tasted like sweet potato pie.

Back