I think I malted corn?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaboom133

Reaction score
I picked a 5 gallon bucket of dent corn about a week and a half ago to use as an adjunct. I got busy and forgot about drying it until now. I just pulled the %bucket out and the corn has germinated. The sprouts are all between 1/4" and 3/4". I know that's a little long and my efficiency will suffer, but If I kiln these in my oven they should have some diastic power, right? Any advice?

When I malt corn, I let the sprouts get to about an inch, that seems to result in better conversion than the usual length you would use in say barley. Also, corn is usually dried at a lower temp like 100-125, so you might want to use a dehydrator rather than an oven. Good luck, I malt corn for fun sometimes, but the flavor of malted corn isn't exactly a favorite.

corn is usually dried at a lower temp like 100-125

I split the 5 gallon bucket into smaller portions so I can experiment. The first batch I dried at about 150. After I read this, I tried one at 120.

I malt corn for fun sometimes, but the flavor of malted corn isn't exactly a favorite.

I ate a kernel after I dried it and odd as it sounds it tasted like cucumber. I can't wait to see how it works in beer. I'm going to try gallon batches of all corn almost like chizta, and corn barley mixes.

they normally use a pile of dung to keep it warm. Think I'm kidding?

It may not be the south, but I still live in Appalachia, I know all to well it's the truth. My family is full of copperheads.

Back