Work day = brew day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zamial

Reaction score
Shortly I am of to work, I will also get to have a brew day at the same time. I work in my LHBS part time now and while "customers first" always applies, I have no problems about doing up a small split boil, stove top extract batch.

This will also be my 1st brewday in MONTHS. I have been busy, lazy and have had a massively full pipeline, not to mention it has JUST started to cool off.

I will be brewing up a Dark Belgian Strong with pumpkin and spices. I do not have the time to post up the recipe ATM but I will use less than a standard spiced pumpkin beers spice bill as the yeast will also add some spicy notes. I plan to age this for 13 months so it will be ready for next year's Halloween.

While I do not get work often at the LHBS, there are few of us that can say "My boss lets me brew and drink on the job." ;)

That's cool None of the LHBS I frequent have any setup for demo brewing like that. That'd be awesome if they did. I'd even volunteer to demo fr one if they had some sort of a setup.

Have fun!! Work hard!!!!!!

Sounds like a good job to have. I haven't brewed in months myself. Darn old stove. Fixed that,but need a thing or two to proceed with my 1st PM.

Well I made beer. It was busier than expected and I left the steeping grains get a bit to warm for to long but they are steeping grains so, no big deal. I also "over toasted" the pumpkin and lost about 50% due to it either being burned or stuck to the foil to the point I could not remove it. (Also not the end of the world). After dinner I will drag the wort inside, aerate and pitch as I feel the energy build to do so.

As for a "set up" they have a stove with 1 large burner and a sink that leaks/ is broken in the center (thanks for the heads up on that one guys! :rolleyes: ). However, I wanted to see if this brew would do what I think it will. I am making a high gravity, extract batch w/ steeping grains. I decided that I would have a decent shot at it finishing right if I used amylase enzyme in it and use my O2 wand. I plan to age this for 13 months as it should be around 10% abv.

I decided that until it gets into "busy season" (and that may not stop me) every time I work on Saturday, I will brew an extract batch. I will be trying out all the extract stuff I skipped when I went to AG when I started brewing. It will be fun to see if club members or anyone else for that matter can tell the difference. :D

Back