Computer interfaces

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kharz

Reaction score
Hey guys -

My brew buddy and I are finally looking to upgrade into a fun system, rather than use the standard coolers for our all grain system. Now, I realize our current set-up makes perfectly good beer -- and there is no guarantee than a thousand dollar system will make better beer; but we are just looking to to have fun with the process. So here is where I currently stand and where I need help:

(1) I am using a 14 gallon brew pot from more beer, with stainless steel parts; temperature gauage, etc. I will probably buy the mash tun and HLT from these guys so the whole thing looks consistent.

(2) Single tier, stainless steel frame. I am currently talking to a local wielder

(3) Recirculation / temp control, I will probably use a close copy of the smart system used by more beer.

(4) Computer controls. I am looking for a system to control the pumps and turn on/off the HLT – al that can be hooked into a computer. Luckily my brew buddy is a very talented software designer; so if we can find the appropriate hardware … I am pretty sure we can make it work.

(5) Yes; I realize I could just buy the 1550 (loaded) or 2050 (loaded), but am trying to improve on that a bit if we can. Otherwise, I will just order one of those sytes.

Thanks for any / all help!

-Kharz

If he's good at software design, it shouldn't be too bad to do. I know there are programs out there for carputers (PCs mounted in cars) to control door locks and the like through the serial port; that might be a good place to start. IIRC, there might have been one that was open source. Once you have that, the hardware side would be mostly relays.

there is a programmable board out there somewhere, I'll check my links at home and get back to you. It is really cheap and highly programmable to cary out on/off and % functions by voltage inputs (thermocouples etc).
I may even have read about it here, check the rest of the DIY section

So we are still in the planning stages; and I apologize for this questin. But it seems like doing the majority of it (pumps, etc) isn't rocket science. What I am having a hard time with is learning how I can control the burner to the HLT.

So the dumb disclaimer is I have been reading / planning this stuff for months; but still learning.

Any ideas about how to do this with the HLT ?

Thanks!

p.s. the irony is this thing may cost several thousand anyway; but would be fun to try and automate via computer controls.

Oh, I just ordered the Jameco catalog. Also looking at smart homes, my brother-in-law does home automation in NYC ... so I will hit him up for ideas as well.

Hmmm.....

You will have to have an electronic regulator/solenoid for the gas

Yeah, I am using http://forums.moreflavor.com/viewto...ys=0&postorder=asc&highlight=solenoid&start=0 as a starting point. I can obviously just use a pilot light solenoid for a water heater .... but I am curious if there are any that are made to interact with a computer program (thinking about people with automated houses who can turn on / off appliances via a web application)

The rest of the build I at least have some idea how to do .... this one i am a little confused on. And because you measure twice and cut once ... I am not starting the buid on any of it until it is perfectly planned

Heh, this will probably be one of those one year type of builds. The current cooler mashtun / hlt work just fine - so there is no real rush. If anyone has any ideas; please let me know!

-Kharz

I do a lot of indusrial controls and process automation so if you have any specific questions I will help you the best I can. I havent done any AG so I dont know the process well enough to make any suggestions off the bat. ;) I know Yuri has some kind automated system but I have never seen all the details.

Yeah, Yuri has this posted:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=22410
talks about the temp aspect, which I think I understand; but its the computer controlled aspect of a solenoid to heat up the HLT that I am working on. I know its done, and probably not to complex, because morebeer.com uses a system in theirs controlled by a Ramco controller. Rather than a Ramco controller, I am thinking about hookng it up to a laptop / pc.

:)

Can't find my copy of it right now, but the latest issue of BYO has build instructions for the Brewtus 10 by Lonnie, and he uses some electronically controlled burners. You might get some ideas from that article.

:mug:

You might consider the Opto 22 family of hardware as it is built to work with the industry standard sensors and actuators, and can be found on eBay if you are patient. Am probably a couple steps ahead in the automation of the brewing process as will be doing the smoke test before starting the operating software this weekend for a system to take the process from milling the grain to filling the carboy by computer control.
Here is a partial schematic drawing of the system http://picasaweb.google.com/kevin.ladue/ControlHardware/photo#5059297310787472450

Speaking of all these electronic parts and valves, can anyone direct me to a location for electronic solenoid valves for the kegging side of the home brewing operations.

+1 on the Brewtus 10! You're almost there with the vessels....and the way he switches lids for sparge/recirc/chill is pretty slick.

Latest posts

Back