Cranberry Pomegranate Wine Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you like it?

• Hell yeah

• Might turn out!

• Ok... But

• Your wasting your time!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dekowski411

Reaction score
So I had this idea and I finally went through with it: :cross:

Purchased Northland Cranberry Pomegranate 100% Juice from a local wholesale club @ $32 for 6 gallons. Right out of the bottle it weighs in at 1.050 S.G. (about 12.5 Brix). I added sugar and raised it to 1.069 (about 17 Brix)

I then added; Pectic Enzyme, Yeast Energizer, Acid Blend, Tannin and Lalvin 71b-1122.

Here is the recipe:
- 6 Gallons of Northland Cranberry Pomegranate 100% Juice
- 3 TSP Pectic Enzyme
- 3 TSP Yeast Energizer
- 4 TSP Acid Blend
- 1.5 TSP Tannin
- 1 Package of Lalvin 71B-1122

Initial SG of 1.069... I'm looking for an alcohol percentage of about 9% to 9.5%

I'm doing this for my wife... What do you guys think of my concoction? If no reply please use the poll!

Thanks everyone

I am not really a wine drinker, but I am curious as my whole family drinks that juice all the time. We literally never run out. Good luck

how much sugar did you add

1 1/8th cup per gallon so.. 6 3/4th cups... The SG was reading 1.069 after stirring making sure all the sugar was dissolved. 6 Gallons Total and I'm going to add more Juice to top off in secondary, after I cease fermentation.

So I had this idea and I finally went through with it: :cross:

Purchased Northland Cranberry Pomegranate 100% Juice from a local wholesale club @ $32 for 6 gallons. Right out of the bottle it weighs in at 1.050 S.G. (about 12.5 Brix). I added sugar and raised it to 1.069 (about 17 Brix)

I then added; Pectic Enzyme, Yeast Energizer, Acid Blend, Tannin and Lalvin 71b-1122.

Here is the recipe:
- 6 Gallons of Northland Cranberry Pomegranate 100% Juice
- 3 TSP Pectic Enzyme
- 3 TSP Yeast Energizer
- 4 TSP Acid Blend
- 1.5 TSP Tannin
- 1 Package of Lalvin 71B-1122

Initial SG of 1.069... I'm looking for an alcohol percentage of about 9% to 9.5%

I'm doing this for my wife... What do you guys think of my concoction? If no reply please use the poll!

Thanks everyone

I just popped the top on the bucket, I couldn't resist, and I'm amazed at the color! It’s like the color of blood in an 80's B movie... I didn't take a picture this go around but I will next time I open it!

Took a gravity, dropped down below 5% so I racked it into a carboy and pitched some Malolactic Bacteria. The color has mellowed to a darker red... The taste seems a little tart so I'm going to let it rest for about two months before I mess with it again. I will sweeten when its time to bottle.

I have 6 gl of the same stuff ready to ferment! Going to make my starter tomorrow. Any updates?

I made a cranberry/pomegranate wine out of some trader joe's juice that my SHMBO loves. I added sugar in hopes of overpowering the yeast (this was several years ago and early in my brewing) to leave residual sugar but that damn yeast kicked ass and it went bone dry. She likes sweet, so that left it all for me. Given that the juice started out rather tart, the dryness of the wine worked perfectly for me. It was a tiny little experiment to get her interested, but it ended in a fantastic little wine.

As Tusch indicated, it will be very dry unless you stabilize and sweeten with more juice and/or sugar. I use fairly low gravity cran/pom juice to make dry sparkling wine in crown cap bottles.

Do you have any results on this? I noticed that this stuff was mostly apple juice anyway so I decided to try a 1 gallon batch below and call it cider.

3 quarts apple juice
1 quart Cranberry/Pom juice
1.5 cups sugar
Wine yeast

It is basically Edwort's applewein with a little extra flavor.

Back