Bah Laid off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PsicloneRN

Reaction score
Well I did not see this one coming...

Let me just start off by saying I graduated from college in May. I'm a murse (male nurse... Yes yes Gaylord focker jokes inserted here).

I was stoked because I had been working in the ICU before I had finished school and they ended up hiring me full time along with 3 others one being my SWMBO. Well over the last three months I've been oriented by just straight bitches and I've been doing a bang up job.

I've had no complaints from families or patients, caused no safety errors, and gotten the job done with proper documentation at all times. The only reason I can figure out that I got fired was that my boss realized she over hired for the amount of patients we receive on the unit and that one of my orientators didn't particularly care for me too much.

Now I have the hassle of trying to find another job which probably wont be too hard in this field but I will most likely lose all my benefits for at least 6 months if I goto another hospital.

So frustrating and the manager told me when I was hired that if I needed more time she would give it to me and she told me that there was no more time to give halfway through my orientation. Then she goes and tells my SWMBO that she can have more orientated time if she needs it. ****ing sexist ass bull**** if you ask me.

Anyways sorry for the rant :(

RDWHAHB. Get back on that saddle. You'll be making even more money with better benefits in no time.

One silver lining, look at all the extra time you can spend brewing now.

Well, that bites! Since Nevada is an at-will state, they don't even have to say why.

Thanks for the support guys I appreciate it. Wish me luck on my first extract brew session today!

There is a massive shortage of nurses here in Texas I read just last week.

Sorry to hear about your job. A buddy of mine is a male nurse as well, and he has to deal with that same sexist B*#$&^@. You should check into doing a travel company contract and let them pay for your housing :D

Sorry that you got let go. As an RN you will be able to find another position pretty quickly.

When I met my husband-to-be he was a RN. Right after we got married he went back for his Masters and is now a CFNP working with a cardiology group. You could think about that later on down the line if the RN thing isn't working out, you'll get a lot more respect.

Petunia

It's sad that a trained health care professional should be treated differently based pretty much exclusively on bias towards reproductive organs. I'm in the electronics field and while male dominated, competent females are properly treated equally. Amongst technologists and engineers where I work we are educated enough to be able to look past gender differences. You'd think people who make their living understanding human anatomy and behavior would be better equipped to suspend their prejudice.

Hey I'm sorry you got laid off, but to be honest I'm not real worried about your situation. my SWMBO has been in the nursing field for several years now, so I'm pretty aware of how in-demand nurses are. You'll bounce back pretty quickly for certain. I suggest you take advantage of this time and brew, brew, brew!

You'll never have to worry about finding employment in the nursing field. My wife's been a nurse nearly 14 years now. She had the same thing happen in a major hospital in their PICU. After several months, they cut her loose. I think hospitals have no problem with cutting their budget by eliminating staff on a whim. In the end, my wife went immediately back to working for an agency (Bayada Nurses) and doing home health care for kids. It's actually a lot less stress, and the pay can be just as great as working in a hospital.

I feel you pain, Man. I was laid off from an IT position right before Christmas of '05. It really sucked. Found another job in about a week, though. Really showed those SOB's. Hey, come on down south to Phoenix. We're alway looking for nurses here. We're only about 5 hrs away from Reno. You'll LOVE the winters here. On Thanksgiving, you can hang out by the pool, jump in the car, and in two hrs be in Snowbowl skiing. Summers are hot but that's what AC is for. :)

Sorry to hear man, like like other have said, probably not a biggie.

So the real question on everyone's (or at least mine) minds is: Is it really like scrubs in there? :D :p

I was laid off about four years ago along with the rest of the automation department. I said were saving them 250,000 a year and we get laid off? About six month ago I get a letter saying that they are in Bankruptcy. God you got love irony.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the good vibes! This is truly a great community.

Sometimes its like scrubs behind the scenes but mostly i just deal with bitchy older ladies who think they are above everyone else and can treat the new nurses like ****.

On the brighter side I brewed my first SNPA and its fermenting nicely!:ban:

Just thought I'd post an update and say that I landed another job today! My aspirations of becoming a brewer fulltime will have to be put on hold again...

On the up side more money for all grain equipment!

Congrats on the new job, good to hear that you will still be able to brew:mug:

Cheers

Try working at a university hospital, its great. People are friendly, willing to teach and learn themselves. Tons of hot nursing students and med students.
The male nurse gig has its perks. I'm glad I went for the better job rather than the better money out of nursing school.

Hey-

I'm also an RN...looks like you made out alright on getting a new job! The ICU, ER, and Psych are generally where men shine as nurses. You won't catch me anywhere near a PICU, Postpartum ward, or Nursery! Too much of that "Queen Bee" bullsh*t. Congrats on the rehire! If you're ever in need of a job, come to SoCal. You'll be making 100k+ as a travel nurse.

Back