Getting ready for my 1st cider and ?s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireguy

Reaction score
Ok, I have my 5 Gals of No preservative Cider, and my campden tablets, also my 2 #s of brown suger. I think Im ready but since im new, im a bit nervous.

My plan is to put the campden tablets in shortly, then tommarow pitch my yeast and brown suger. Will that work or should I mix my suger today when adding the crucshed campen tabs?

please, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks

Also, as Im reading some other threads im getting a bit confused... the cider is pasturized, does this mean I might not need to add the campden tabs, or does that even matter. Sorry for the dumb ?s, its kinda uneasy not knowing what im doing.thanks again

If the cider is already pasturized make sure it has no Potassium sorbate in it. If it does, it will not ferment. If it is already pasteurized there is no need to add the campden tabs. Add the sugard and dissolve it well, and then pitch your yeast.

I used unpasteurized cider and I added my sugar, along with the campden tabs crushed up and made sure it all dissolved well, waited 24 hours and then pitched my yeasties.

thanks jiliman, under ingredients it only states - Pasturized apple cider and ascorbic acid. It is musselmans, not from concentrate 100 % juice apple cider.
I hope this will work!? thanks

That will work fine, no worries at all. Though I might add, you might want to consider going without the sugar. Unless you are set on it, I would go with a simple straight juice cider first. Just my opinion, I think everyone should try that first before changing. Or better yet, start out with two batches! haha

Pasteurized juice whether it's concentrate or not with Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C) will work fine.

Thanks again folks!

But yet another dumb new-b Question ?.... Ok, since I didnt read some of these post before it was too late... I went ahead and put 1 crushed campden tab per gal, then mixed the 2 #s of suger and cider (along withe the campden tabs) into my mixing bucket. that was bout 3 pm yesterday. I plan on Racking (if that is the right term) the cider into my carboy tonight, then pitching my yeast. so im wondering when i Transfer to the carboy, if I should filter that sediment from the cider out or just do it when i go to the secondary?

thanks , you guys are great!

oh crap:drunk:.... I forgot..... When I pitch the yeast is that the proper time to check the Specific gravity? thanks again

Pull the sample for testing SG before you pitch. Anytime after mixing the ingredients together to pitching is good to take it to test. You'd even have a few hours after pitching if you forget but is not ideal because you can't be sure when the yeast will get active...

Not a dumb question however you are talking about the real secondary right? Not just transferring after the campden to your fermentation vessel?

I'll answer both ways to be safe.

In the primary fermentation vessel I'd transfer sediment and all. The apple sediment could offer up nutrients and flavor for the next few weeks.

In secondary rack off as much of the sediment as you can. That is one of the main points in racking cider and wine, and beer too I imagine. To get the "good stuff" off of the "bad stuff" so your cider or whatever doesn't take on "off" flavors. So yeah rack it well.

I may be racking some of my pressings twice this year, something I have rarely done but I figure it can't hurt. If I had conicals I'd keep dropping the dead yeast and sediment until clear too.

Thanks again folks!

But yet another dumb new-b Question ?.... Ok, since I didnt read some of these post before it was too late... I went ahead and put 1 crushed campden tab per gal, then mixed the 2 #s of suger and cider (along withe the campden tabs) into my mixing bucket. that was bout 3 pm yesterday. I plan on Racking (if that is the right term) the cider into my carboy tonight, then pitching my yeast. so im wondering when i Transfer to the carboy, if I should filter that sediment from the cider out or just do it when i go to the secondary?

thanks , you guys are great!

I presonally think unpasteurized juice should be preferred in preparing ciders and here is why...

By fermenting you basically ending up a pasteurized liquid. Are you heating it up to remove bacteria and pathogens? No, but you are ridding it of the same things without heating. Don't forget the heat undoubtedly changes the character of the juice.

The only time I like the idea of pasteurizing is when you are going to drink fresh pressed juice, or if you are bottle conditioning you can package pasteurize in the bottle to kill the yeast after adequate levels of carbonation are achieved.

Pasteurized juice whether it's concentrate or not with Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C) will work fine.

oldtimeydave, thanks for the great info...it was easy to understand and I appreciate that. I am sure as the weeks/months go by I will have so many more Questions. I just hope one day I will be able to offer advice to a beginer as all you folks have done thanks and any other advice will always be welcome!!! Thanks a million!!!

You know, it just hit me that you talked about mixing up your must, but you're going to transfer it before you pitch the yeast? I think I'm misunderstanding something.

I right now have some grape wine that I added yeast to yesterday. It's in a bucket with a towel covering it. I stir it to break up the cap that forms, but you don't have to stir cider. It can stay right where it is, until it's time for secondary, when the SG drops to 1.020 or so. Then you rack into the carboy and minimize headspace and airlock.

yooper, I had my cider, campden tabs, and brown suger in a bucket. I just put it in the bucket to mix things up. it sat for 24 hr for the campden tabs. Now I have added my yeast to the cider and put it in a Carboy with a air lock for my Primary. I hope this is right... oh and measured the SG and it was 1.071 . I think all I have to do now is wait!

Id not refer it as racking when you pour it all into the primary. Thats when you want to splash it and get it aerated. racking is when you try to move it with little or not exposure to O2. I just racked a cider that had a large amount of apple "stuff" in it. I started with all that "stuff" then racked it last night to leave as much as possible in the primary.

You are going to do great and really enjoy the finished product.

yooper, I had my cider, campden tabs, and brown suger in a bucket. I just put it in the bucket to mix things up. it sat for 24 hr for the campden tabs. Now I have added my yeast to the cider and put it in a Carboy with a air lock for my Primary. I hope this is right... oh and measured the SG and it was 1.071 . I think all I have to do now is wait!

Gotcha. That's fine. My point was that I mix it all up in the bucket, and leave it there for about 4-5 days, with just a towel covering the top to keep out the fruitflies. I stir whenever I think of it, too, so it aerates. When the fermentation seems slowed some, I check the SG and if it's 1.020 or under, I rack to the carboy, and then airlock it. You're fine with what you did, too, of course. Some people do airlock their primaries.

Last night a few hours after pitching yeast she bubbled once in a while... then this mourning she bubbled every 5 secs, now since im at work and cant see, had the wife check it... the air lock is bubbling like a sum beech.:ban:Im way pumped thanks for all the help so far!!!

Awesome... If you have access to nutrients add some once 1/3 of the sugars have been depleted.

If you get any hints of sulfur "rotten egg" smells its time for additional nutrients and/or nitrogen.

Awesome... If you have access to nutrients add some once 1/3 of the sugars have been depleted.

If you get any hints of sulfur "rotten egg" smells its time for additional nutrients and/or nitrogen.

ok, how do I know when 1/3 have been depleated?
Also, what does it do ( Nutients and nitrogen)?
Im so green, its not even funny!

No worries... Most folks let'r rip and call it good. These are fairly advanced techniques but easy to peform.

Take good hydrometer readings is the way to tell when your gravity has dropped 1/3. If you don't have a hydrometer a day or so of fermenting would be my best guess. The nutrients and/or nitrogen will eliminate the sulfur smells. Two of the main reasons one might smell sulfur smells are nutrient or nitrogen deficiency. By adding them you are merely feeding the yeast the things they require to grow happy and healthy. I was told making cider is like farming yeast. Consider these additives fertilizer.

I've read oh so many posts saying the smell will go away. It might just go away and hide in your cider producing "off" flavors. Some folks call it "green" and sometimes it ages off fine. The best way to prevent however it is to nip it in the bud.

Most brew/wine stores will sell nutrients for wines try those. If you don't find the nitrogen MoreWineMaking.com has some in 2 oz bags for $1.50 it is called DAP, they also sell the best nutrients for the job. Well at least that is where I buy mine, however I'm always open to good online purchasing suggestions.

So you don't need to do this stuff but you'll be happy you did. I had to learn the hard way myself.

thanks dave, you are a great help!

I do have a hydrometer, not a lot of knowledge came with it however.

so to check for 1/3 the suger, I assume I will just take a sg every couple days? also, is the sample for the sg considered contaminated after it is used, or can it be dumped back in the carboy? I dont have access other than the net to get nutrient or nitro... is the addition of this.... a time specific thing or can it with in a week(so I can order some )?

seriously thanks for all this info, Im really learning minute to minute. If you were closer, id buy you a beer or 12.:tank:

This is my first season with the Nitrogen and I panicked some when I started to smell sulfur. I ordered, waited the painful 4 or 5 days and added nutrient when I got it and low and behold things got better and even better a couple days down the road. My nutrient has some nitrogen in it however for some of the harder cases I did use a little nitrogen. It comes with great instructions from those guys but I used a little less then called for knowing I could always dose in some more.

I am learning a ton from all you folks!!! But, what about the sample I pull to check the sg? Is it contaminated? or can I dump back into carboy?

Update: It has now been over 1 week. fermrntation has slowed a bit, atleast the air lock is now bubbling every 6 secs. it doesnt smell like roten eggs, its moer of a tart/sour apple. I have some nitro and nutients on order, but I might not add it if it doesnt smell. also im now seeing conflictiing opinions about adding pectic enzime. I was going to add when i rach 2nd carboy.

Thanks folks!!!

Best way to get rid of your sg sample? Drink it

Really, if you try your brew with your sg samples along the way, you can get a better idea of the brewing process by seeing how it changes as the fermentation process goes on.

Oh and its tasty!

ok, so I have managed to forget about this along with a batch of apfelwine since october. As far as I know there has been no air loc leak (Have toped it off with vodka now an again). Has been in 2nd fermentor since nov or dec., Is it still good? maybe it will be great!. if I push pressure out of the airloc it smells really sweat anf fruity. if it is still good and needs some help for sweetness, how much sweetner should I start with for adding? any other tips would be really nice. Thanks in advance

Back