possible bad yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssazreal560

Reaction score
So about four days ago i started a milk stout (brewers best kit). Everything went great until i realized today that my airlock had not started bubbling! It came with some notty and i hydrated it just like the directions said and then pitched it at around 70-74. I also put some yeast nutrient in...

I had some s-04 i had washed and saved as an experiment and in a panic warmed it and threw it in without a starter! I know its not what you are supposed to do but I was worried about possible infections if i didn't get something going.

My question is has anyone else pitched washed yeast without a starter, and how did it work for ya? Also have your kits came with bad yeast before?

thanks all

What is the the temp on the fermenter (or ambient temp)? Airlocks aren't the best indicator of fermentation, as your fermenter could have a leak in the lid or cap that allows the CO2 to escape. Do you have a hydrometer? If so, you should take a sample and get a gravity reading. That will tell you what is going on.

Pop the lid as gently as possible and take a quick look. If you have krausen close it back up and wait a few weeks before doing anything else.

With Nottingham try to keep it at or a little under 65.

bosco

well the gravity was 1050 yesterday. I just got a new lid for my fermentor I knew it didnt leak and when i opened it up to take a peek there was no krausen and it smelled like toasty malt syrup :confused: and that was after four days.

This morning (after putting the washed yeast in last night) I woke up to a blown out airlock so i guess it worked :mug:

Washed yeast can take a little longer to get going (depending on how old it is of course).

Latest posts

Back