Way too much gypsum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

granpooba19

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, for my first all grain brew, my LHBS gave me a snack size ziplock full of gypsum. It was an English IPA brew. I didn't know any better and threw the whole bag in. It was exponentially more gypsum than required.

I have soft water to begin with which is why I had the gypsum, but this beer is just not hoppy at all and is rough to drink.

Is adding that much gypsum probably the problem?

I'm surprised you even got conversion. Was your OG off? What is your recipe/water?

Yes.

For my taste, a tablespoon into 5 gallons is lots and my water is very low in minerals to begin with.

I can't figure out how to export the Beersmith recipe, but my OG is pretty close but my numbers were pretty close, but still off by about 4 degrees...granted I was probably generous.

My water us close to reverse osmosis...its filtered and then softened with a Culligan Water Filter, which is why I had the gypsum.

My second AG batch, which didn't have tablespoon upon tablespoon of gypsum was much better, and I love this batch...

I'm tempted to just dump this batch because its not something I enjoy and only drink it after I'm already somewhat drunk. It isn't something I would write home to..

It's a lesson learned anyways. You will certainly be able to recognize the effect of gypsum on the taste of beer!

I can't figure out how to export the Beersmith recipe, but my OG is pretty close but my numbers were pretty close, but still off by about 4 degrees...granted I was probably generous.

My water us close to reverse osmosis...its filtered and then softened with a Culligan Water Filter, which is why I had the gypsum.

My second AG batch, which didn't have tablespoon upon tablespoon of gypsum was much better, and I love this batch...

I'm tempted to just dump this batch because its not something I enjoy and only drink it after I'm already somewhat drunk. It isn't something I would write home to..

I wouldn't use the softened water, it adds too much sodium and strips all your hardness. Better if there's an RO unit downstream of the softener.

And yes, that was way too much gypsum...2-3g in a 5 gallon batch is usually enough.

I wouldn't use the softened water, it adds too much sodium and strips all your hardness. Better if there's an RO unit downstream of the softener.

And yes, that was way too much gypsum...2-3g in a 5 gallon batch is usually enough.

I do have drinking water that is RO. Can I use that effectively if all I add is the gypsum?

I do have drinking water that is RO. Can I use that effectively if all I add is the gypsum?

Yes, I pull RO water out of my drinking faucet a gallon at a time and over a week usually can collect 10 gallons or more for my brewing.

What and how much you add to RO water really depends on what water profile you are shooting for, i.e. what kind of beer you're making.

Best thing to do is use something like Bru'N Water and build it up from scratch. You don't need much (epsom salts, calcium chloride, gypsum, etc.) and you can make your water perfect.

You can start Here learning about salt additions.
While your in Brew Sciences start reading, there is allot of good info there.
I Personally don't like sulfate (gypsum ) and I also made an ESB yesterday
and only used 4.5 grams for 10 gallons.

Back