A label for my first batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottleopener

Reaction score
Hello hello,

I just whipped up a quick label based on my first batch (Irish Red, still in primary). Depending on how well it comes out, I may invest in labels for later batches.

I'm going to be brewing a whole lot when I get back to school, and my buddy came up with an appropriate name. My name is Kier and my go-to drink at college is Keystone Ice, so it seemed only natural that my beer be named "Kierstone." Thus, we have Kierstone Ale.

label1.jpg

The chapel in the background is both the center of campus and a gorgeous building, so it seemed a fitting tribute.

One thing I've noticed is that I should re-add a the black border to separate the sky from the white in the top right corner.

Anything that I've left out? Anything need to be changed? Commentary would be most appreciated.

And on a side note, where the hell does everyone get their labels from?

Looks great. I like the general layout, but might i suggest making the red forground a touch more transparent to reveal a touch more detail of the church. Also, consider p'shopping out the flag pole as it's busying up that letter "i" and not really adding anything.

Yeah, I think it looks pretty good. Definitely think the flag wouldn't be missed. I really like the "Do Not Drink Sediment," short, to-the-point, and kinda funny.

As for labels, I just print them on regular computer paper and then apply them to the bottles with milk. Carefully use a paintbrush (or anything really) and put a thin coat of milk on the back, trying not to get any on the front. When the milk dries it leaves a good seal but will fall right off with a quick rinse. Not good for bottles that will go in a cooler though: all your labels will be floating in minutes.

One last thing, quit drinking Keystone Ice, haha. Nah, I can understand that though, college is not cheap. It is better than Nasty Ice.

Milk? Seriously? The stuff that comes from cows?
My foodservice background is having a fit, but it sounds like it works pretty well.

Gluesticks work awesome too - easy to use, hold well and the label comes off nicely when its time to re-use the bottle.

Back