Need something better than cardboard for storing bottles...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKYY

Reaction score
I firmly believe in bottling. I would much rather let my yeast cells naturally carbonate their beers in the bottles than to let CO2 get forced upon them in a cold, heartless, steel keg.

Over the course of 3 years, I have collected 18 cardboard beer cases. Most of my bottles are your standard 12-oz American non-screw-top style. I am looking for something more durable and permanent to hold these bottles.

Are there any good 24-bottle, plastic caddies out there? Standard 12-oz "longneck" style bottle size will work.

Also, I have 96 Chimay bottles that require a similar home. This one's going to be tough, as even Chimay doesn't ship their cases with reusable 4-pack cardboard caddies. Chimay's beers are in proprietary 11-oz bottles. And, they are about the diameter of a standard soda can, but are substantially taller. I thought I might be able to use Mickey's malt liquor caddies, but they're too short.

I think there are some plans for wooden ones in the DIY section

I get the flat cardboard bottoms and empty six pack holders to store mine currently
The liquor store keeps the six pack holders for folks to get and will give me the flats on request
They stack well as long as bottles are same height and are replaced easily as they wear out
I know that didn't answer your question but might help someone else

Happy brewing and if not too pricey I would be interested in something more durable as well

Try a standard milk crate. I keep my empty bottles in them. They hold a lot and are stackable. They also double as a way to carry carboys. They are used by every grocery store. I don't know if they would sell them I you. I got mine from work. I'm sure Walmart sells something similar if you can't get your hands on any.

I remember years and years ago, I worked for a grocery store. Want to say Miller High Life? Came in really nice heavy duty boxes. You would return the bottles and the box and recieve your "core" charge back. I wonder if you can get ahold of those kind of boxes anymore? Would hold 24 bottles I think, The top would fold open in half. Mostly the older folks would buy them.

They were always a little beat up but, they were built to last. I wouldn't mind having some of those for bottle storage!

I have purchased several beer cases from C & W Crate Co. They are great cases made from corrigated Polypropylene and designed just like the beer cases from years ago including the hinged lids.
A little pricy but they are very durable and should last along time.
Here's a link to their website if you're interested.

http://www.cwcrate.com

cwcrate shut down :( I was just about to go buy a boatload of cases for 22oz bottles. Anyone have another option thats similar?

Try a standard milk crate. I keep my empty bottles in them. They hold a lot and are stackable. They also double as a way to carry carboys. They are used by every grocery store. I don't know if they would sell them I you. I got mine from work. I'm sure Walmart sells something similar if you can't get your hands on any.

This is what I use. My wife is a teacher and we live about a block from her school and they stack their empty crates outside the back of the school every night so I just helped myself to about 2/night every so often until I had enough to store all of my empties and full bottles. :D :cool: They do work great as I usually get at least 2 full crates/batch of beer (about 24 bottles/crate) and they are stackable which makes it nice!

I mostly bottle with standard 12 oz craft beer bottles but I do have a bunch of 22 oz bottles from when I brewed at a brew on premises plcace. The 22 oz bottles fit in the crates as well, but they stick up slightly making it harder to stack.

I use the C&W Crates for my bottled beer and the Fast Racks to store my empties. Milk crates are cool too, but hate how the bottles aren't divided to keep them from rattling. It sucks that C&W Crates are out of business. I planned on getting two more 12oz cases.

The file cabinet solution is freaking genius. I think I may get a cheap 2-3 drawer to put under my bar for bottled batches.

This place never ceases to amaze me with its ingenious ideas.

I don't follow. Bottles fit upright in file cabinets.

Edit: I meant the length of the case goes sideways, not on it's side.

Back