Keg sizes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayUnt

Reaction score
I have never kegged before but have always been interested. I found a guy selling 2 pin lock kegs on CL for a good deal and contacted him. He sent me a picture of the kegs, but they are different sizes. One is taller and skinnier then the other.

I was under the impression that all pin lock kegs were one size and all ball lock kegs were a different. Since i don't have any kegs or really know too much about it yet, it looks to me that he is selling one ball lock and one pin lock. And I don't know how to tell of the bird eye view.

I attached the images he sent, so if anyone can tell if they are both pin lock or they are 1 and 1, that would be very useful.

Also, how annoying it is to have 1 of each? I hear you want to stick with one or the other, so I'm assuming it is very annoying.

Thanks!

IMG_20130625_091316.jpg

IMG_20130625_091323.jpg

Those both look like Pin Locks to me. Looking at the top view you can see little pins sticking off the post which means the taller one is a converted pin lock.

Usually Coke used the shorter ones, and Pepsi the taller. I have one coke and several Pepsi. They all work the same. And they coexist wonderfully in my kegerator. I would switch out the pin locks for ball locks though.

I was originally thinking of getting more coke ones, because of clearance under the freezer compartment of my kegerator, but have found that both fit. I do think that three coke versions would prevent me from fitting them because of the extra width. But my kegerator is a 1950s fridge, so it's tiny.

I do prefer the Pepsi, because getting the fittings on and off is a little easier. But I wouldn't pass up a good deal on either.

image-3732147742.jpg

yeah def both pin lock. I have a couple that are different sizes as well. As said above i think it make a difference who was using them(coke vs pepsi)

Pepsi used one lock and the different sized keg, Coke used the other. (I don't recall which had which.) The actual locks can be changed, so while both of those have pin lock fittings, one has been converted. Either system is acceptable but it seems most seem to prefer ball locks. You will have to have the right fittings for one or get extra fittings to be able to use both.

Thanks for all of your help.

When talking about switching from one to another, do people usually mean just the locks or whole kegs?

The short squat keg is a pin lock, and the taller skinnier one is a ball lock keg with pin lock posts (and lid) on it.

Thanks for all of your help.

When talking about switching from one to another, do people usually mean just the locks or whole kegs?

Depends on the context. It could be having both types of kegs and switching the QD's back and forth when a keg kicks, or switching the posts to use the other type of QD (like someone did to the ball lock in the photo), or switching all of their kegs from one type to another.

The short squat keg is a pin lock, and the taller skinnier one is a ball lock keg with pin lock posts (and lid) on it.

I purchased all my ball locks new and they are like pictured by OP.
My shorter once are made in Germany and measure like pin locks.
I have three different sizes, two with rubber top and without rubber top.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I purchased all my ball locks new and they are like pictured by OP.
My shorter once are made in Germany and measure like pin locks.
I have three different sizes, two with rubber top and without rubber top.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I understand they come in different size configurations, I was just referring to the two in the photos, not making a blanket statement. Based on the relative sizes as well as the shapes/markings on the molded rubber handles, the one on the left appears to be a Cornelius R (pin lock), and the one on the right is either a Spartan or Super Champion (ball lock) with pin lock posts on it.

I understand they come in different size configurations, I was just referring to the two in the photos, not making a blanket statement. Based on the relative sizes as well as the shapes/markings on the molded rubber handles, the one on the left appears to be a Cornelius R (pin lock), and the one on the right is either a Spartan or Super Champion (ball lock) with pin lock posts on it.

Thanks for replying.

ClaudiusB

Back