Question on carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klickmania

Reaction score
I kinda sorta goofed up the carbonation on my first two batches of beer. I used 3/4 cup dextrose in 2 cups of boiling water as per Charlie Papazian's recipe for 5 gal. Everything went really smooth but for some reason I forgot that you need to let them sit at around 70*F for a week or two after you bottle. So in all my "wisdom" I stuck them right in the fridge. I know that won't hurt the beer, it'll just take forever to completely carbonate. My question is, will they carbonate faster if I take them out of the fridge at this point? Or has that ship sailed and now I have to play the waiting game. I'm also assuming that gently agitating them to re-suspend some of the yeast wouldn't hurt either(?). Thanks in advance!

P.S. Both beers taste fine and the IPA I brewed has some carbonation in it, they both pour absolutely no head.

Take them out of the fridge, and let them warm back up. Then after a couple days, give them a shake to rouse the yeast, and leave them alone for a couple more weeks.

When you put them in the fridge the yeast goes to sleep, warm it up, they wake up and go back to work.

Thanks for the quick response man! I'll definitley do that before I head in to work this afternoon. I'm really glad this is the only step I kinda botched for these first two batches lol. :rockin:

Back