Phosphoric Acid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mappler

Reaction score
A friend of mine was talking to me about drinking "Lime Phosphates" as a kid in a soda shop. I googled this, and it seems that soda jerks would put a drop of phosphoric acid in the soda for bite. I'm curious to try this with my soda setup. Does anyone know the concentration used for a glass of soda? I've seen phosphoric acid in 10% concentrations and in 85% concentrations.

Thanks,
Matt

There are two different chemicals. There is Phosphoric acid, which can be used in sodas, mostly Colas. Open Cola has an amount of phosphoric acid added to it for example. There is also Acid phosphate, which is created from a reaction of phosphoric acid and a calcium, magnesium or potassium salt to reduce the acidity. What you get is just pure sourness. The lime phosphate was most likely created using acid phosphate.

Artofdrink, linked in the acid phosphate link, sells acid phosphate, and also has a few soda recipes such as a chocolate phosphate and cherry phosphate. I was drawn to the website from an article in imbibe magazine last year.

For a lime phosphate... I'd probably wind up using citric acid for the sourness.

Thank you SO much for the link. I will be spending some time reading it. This is exactly the type of resource I have been looking for!

Latest posts

Back