fermentation schedule for an IIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chass3

Reaction score
hi guys,

I'm making an IIPA next weekend, and I'm interested to hear how you handle the fermentation of a beer that's gonna have an OG of 1.080, but wants to be drank as fresh as possible because of the massive hop character.

I obviously want to get it into bottles as fast as possible to preserve the hop character, but I also don't want to have it tasting hoochy, being a 9% beer. I'm using a pound of corn sugar to lighten the body- should I add that to the primary after a big chunk of the fermentation has occurred?

any tips or techniques that have helped you make a great IIPA?

You can help speed up the fermentation a little if you can ramp up the temperature slowly to about 72* over the course of a few days. I usually oxygenate as normal then give it another 15-20 second burst of O2 12 hours after pitching (so long as the krausen hasn't risen). I keep it at 62* for the first few days then raise it to 72* slowly over the next few days and keep it there. I find that it will finish and drop clear in 10-14 days.

I add my corn sugar to the boil. My IIPA starts anywhere from 1.081-1.084 and always finishes at 1.010-10.12

As far as tips, it's all about late hoping with IIPAs

what i do for IPAs and other beers i want to serve young is to first off, aerate properly and pitch enough yeast, then start the fermentation out coolish, and slowly let it come up to the high 60's by the end of active fermentation. i'll hold temps there for a few days after FG (as i take my consecutive FG readings, usually), then i'll cool it off for a few days to drop the yeast and onto secondary for a 7 day dry hop, you can also dry hop in primary, just make sure you're at FG (and the beers starting to drop clear). then i package, keg if i can, but if i bottle, i drink 'em quickly once they start to show their legs, after about 3-4 weeks usually.

Back