Wort temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tellish33

Reaction score
While I was starting my process I was reading the directions of my Brewers Best APA. It said not to let the temp go above 170 because of the release of tannins. I kept my wort below 165. After I pulled the bag of caramel I didn't watch the temp because it didn't say anything about it. My question is, does the whole process have to be under 170 or just when making your wort? Thx.

While I was starting my process I was reading the directions of my Brewers Best APA. It said not to let the temp go above 170 because of the release of tannins. I kept my wort below 165. After I pulled the bag of caramel I didn't watch the temp because it didn't say anything about it. My question is, does the whole process have to be under 170 or just when making your wort? Thx.

When you steep your grains, it needs to be under 170. When you remove the grains, and bring the wort up to a boil, it's much higher than 170, of course.

Back