Disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhaas66

Reaction score
What kind of disconnects do you use for hot wort?

I am thinking of Whirlpool Chiller..

I think you can purchase silicone tubing and high temp pump. But what about disconnects?

Thanks...

some also use CPVC disconnects (or they may be another poly- something. they are a 'good' plastic). i believe you can get them from usplastic, morebeer, northernbrewer, etc.

I use the CPC disconnects that gnef mentions above. They are made of polysulfone plastic, which is food grade to 250˚F. I got mine from Northern Brewer. Look at the bottom of the page that I linked to. They are a little on the pricey side, but from my point of view they are worth it.

Female Fittings:
cpc-disc-female.jpg

Male Fittings:
cpc-disc-male.jpg

one major advantage of the plastic ones linked above by johnsma22, is that you can connect and disconnect with your bare hands. with the brass or stainless, you should/need use gloves, otherwise you could burn yourself.

with that said, i don't have any of these, this is just from what i've read. when i do go to a system that would require the disconnects, i will most likely save up to use the plastic connectors.

Biermann said:
I may eventually convert to CPVC, but my brass ones are working fine at the moment.

yeah at $7.50 a set I'll stick with my brass. I've yet to have a need to unhooke them when hot, If I do gloves are right there if needed.

Oh one thing to add is the plastic ones can and do melt.

I just use 1/2 FPT sink connector hoses with SS braid, all of my containers have 1/2 MPT nipples, I move the hoses to where I need them. Yes they can get hot, but they're cheap, and since they're designed for potable water, they're foodsafe. I don't notice any smells or flavors indicating they're leaching anything into my brew.

I love the polysulphone CPC ones mentioned earlier, and the ones by Colder (maybe the same company) I bought from USPLASTICS.COM. I would recommend looking at their catalog anyway, as it has a lot of cool stuff. They have good prices, fast shipping, and have a lot of brew related stuff. I got these cool plastic tubing clamps to connect my QD's up to the tubing. I loved them, just squeeze them with pliars and the lock tight. Anyways, just a cool company to deal with so I wanted to through it out there while on the subject of connections.:rockin:

Back