is it posible to carboy carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgrcltpunk

Reaction score
what im asking here is i was at a brewery and they said when the beer is almost fermented out they close off the blow off tubing and let the beer carb itself in the fermenter. could you do this in a carboy maybe by puting it in the 2nd and putting a solid bung on it?or would it blow to pieces?

I'd expect the bung to blow off before the carboy itself blew up. Bungs like that aren't intended to hold in large amounts of pressure, so it will fly off. Even if you could keep the carboy sealed under pressure, carboys aren't intended to hold a lot of pressure, so I doubt the carboy itself would hold up.

WHat would be the purpose? Even if your carboy could handle the pressure you would lose most of the carbonation when you rack it off to bottle or keg.

You can do this in a "brite tank" or if you ferment in a SS Conical or Keg. Just know that if you do this in a Keg you will have a few pulls with a buttload of yeast in them, if your diptube doesn't clog first.

I secondary for two weeks and when I keg there is CO2 in the beer. Probably not more than 1/2 a volume, so it is carbonated in the carboy, it's just not enough.

think about it. what happens when an airlock gets clogged? thats essentially what your thinking about doing. my guess is the bung would pop out and end up on the floor somewhere and any built up CO2 will escape.

Back