home brewing passes oklahoma house

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pen25

Reaction score
we are closer to being legal

Beer brewing bill passes Oklahoma House

By RANDY KREHBIEL World Staff Writer
Published: 3/3/2010 10:49 AM
Last Modified: 3/3/2010 10:49 AM

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahomans would be able to annually brew up to 200 gallons of beer for personal use under a measure passed Wednesday morning by the state House of Representatives.

Home brewers would have to obtain a state license similar to one already issued to home wineries under House Bill 2348 by Rep. Colby Schwartz, R-Yukon. The beer could only be used for personal consumption and could not be sold.

The bill passed 76-19 and proceeds to the Senate.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/arti...icleid=20100303_12_0_OLHMIY864986&archive=yes

I'm not in OK, but anytime that this issue get brought to this level in the few states where home brewing is still not legal, it's always excellent news.

This is awesome news. Last year we were finally legal here in Utah. I was able to take the dark glasses and mustache off while brewing.

WooT! Hmmm. I already have a license for wine wonder if it'll be the same license.

I'm in Oklahoma but haven't gone to get the license (just started doing wine / beer in the last month). Tough process or is it pretty much a "fill this out and give us your money" type process?

Wow, I'm shocked that this wasn't already done. I know of at least a couple LHBS in OK.

I guess it's not technically legal with the statutes as written now (since they prohibit what is not discretely allowed), but I doubt you could find any homebrewer ever charged.

I'm in Oklahoma but haven't gone to get the license (just started doing wine / beer in the last month). Tough process or is it pretty much a "fill this out and give us your money" type process?

Nope. fill this out, fax it, and wait 3 weeks.

there "was" no fee.

Wow, I'm shocked that this wasn't already done. I know of at least a couple LHBS in OK.

I guess it's not technically legal with the statutes as written now (since they prohibit what is not discretely allowed), but I doubt you could find any homebrewer ever charged.

ABLE admits that they have neither the staff or the inclination to charge anyone unless there is proof of illeagal sales.

This change makes me happy only because I tire of neighbor hood trooper dry by casing my joint when I am brewing. And because it will be less intimidating when the neighbor snoop calls me in for distilling hooch in my garage.

Furthermore, it will lift the uncertainty about public functions around homebrew and allow for transport stipulations to avoid an open container charge. Might even lift the ban on postal exchange of alcohol.

it still hasnt passed both and signed but its getting closer. its legal for wine and cider but as the law is written no beer was included.

I'm from Oklahoma city originally. I didn't get into home brewing until I moved to Alaska. But I'll be moving back to Oklahoma in a couple of years. Good to know it will be legal. Not that I planned to stop when I got back anyways. Are there any good brew shops in Oklahoma?

KC10Chief, are you in the military or oil? I am from Houston originally but went to HS (Service HS) in Anchorage, and now reside in Edmond, OK. My dad was/is in the oil industry so that explains all that...but, how do you like Anchorage? I miss it a lot.

There are 2 shops in the OKC area. One is great, the other is sub-par IMO. There is one in Tulsa as well.

There are 2 shops in the OKC area. One is great, the other is sub-par IMO. There is one in Tulsa as well.

I agree with MMH on the 2 shops in OKC. I've yet to head out to the Tulsa brew shop but have heard it's a rather large establishment. Would be worth the drive just to see it I think.

in okc do you prefer learntobrew or thebrewshop

I've been to both places and have found The Brew Shop to be a more inviting place. I haven't priced either of them etc but Chuck (The proprietor of the Brew Shop) takes the time to answer questions along with just general chit chat no matter what's going on in the shop.

Does the new law still cap the homebrew ABV at 3.2%? ;)

And I thought South Carolina was backwards.

Back