burner problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thevalkrye

Reaction score
i have a propane burner like this

Picasa Web Albums - Duncan - Burner Pics

when i use the fryer pot that came with it i have no problems getting a vigorous boil going, however its not quite big enough to do full 90 min boil for some beers.

so i got this pot..its aluminum..15 gal but i cant even get 3 gallons to boil in it. if i put the lid on it it will boil but once i take it off it stops. the new pot is a lot shorter and wider and if you look in the third picture it sits over the burner stand instead of on it like the smaller pot does.

any suggestions for getting my new pot to work? it will get a weak boil going only in the center of the pot..is it too wide? do i need to get the burner closer? farther away? i know the burner is capable of boiling the volumes i want...its the geometry of the pot that's causing me troubles...any suggestions?

I am no expert on the subject of fire - but it may be that the design of the burner was such that they intended some venting around the edges of the pot. This intended flow of air may be the oxygen supply to the flame and by closing it off you may have a less vigorous burn.

I'm not sure what the best way to fix it might be - but somehow you need to insure good airflow to the burner head.

Okay whachoo gat heer is........

A basic "Flame Thrower" aka "Hurricane" type burner. These need 4 to 5 Inches of space between the top rim of the burner to the bottom (most) surface of your vessel being heated.

Can you notch the upper ring to allow the burner to breathe some around your kettle?

yes i can do that. just give er maybe 4 or 6, 1 inch wide notches around the rim?

Worth a try!

On another note, if you have significantly change your boil volume that may also be a factor.

A basic burner like that with a 10psi reg produces a max around 80k btu/hr (given ideal conditions).

Give it a 20psi reg and that will double your btu output (under ideal conditions).

ok thanks...no i haven't changed my volume considerably....i am going to bump my burner up two inches and add some speed holes to the rim.

well looking at it again working...there doesn't seem to be much need to notch the rim out...since the air is pulled in from the venturi holes at the back of the burner and it seems to be burning fine.

moving the burner up did help some....but the ring that the pot sits on is blocking the flame from reaching some of the bottom of the pot...causing it to only boil under the ring.

i need to build a new burner stand i think...i would also love to get an adjustable regulator..but i cant seem to find on from canada..and the shipping is just as much as the regulator or more form the us.

well looking at it again working...there doesn't seem to be much need to notch the rim out...since the air is pulled in from the venturi holes at the back of the burner and it seems to be burning fine.

moving the burner up did help some....but the ring that the pot sits on is blocking the flame from reaching some of the bottom of the pot...causing it to only boil under the ring.

i need to build a new burner stand i think...i would also love to get an adjustable regulator..but i cant seem to find on from canada..and the shipping is just as much as the regulator or more form the us.

I sourced my new regulators from a specialized propane supplier/distributor. This one is called American Propane. Doubt they have locations in Canada but, AP is just a large LPG supplier. Large like as in bulk tank suppliers for homes and stuff.

Back