Is mead a wine or a beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Honey wine' (as the link describes it) just means it's a mead made to a higher ABV - the bottles don't matter!:)

Mead is neither a wine (something made from fruit) or beer (something made from grains): it's mead (something made from honey). I haven't had either of these, but I will point out that Chaucer's is a sweet mead and is made entirely from honey. Several reviews talk about "big raw honey" flavors. I'm not a big fan of meads, but when I do drink them, I prefer dry ones. The Bunratty product isn't a pure mead, it's a melomel. I think the ads call them mead wines just because "mead" doesn't mean squat to most people.

And people who do know what mead is, are generally nursing hangovers.

Ya, Chaucer's is nothing great except they give you that spice package... mmm... winter day and a pot o' mead...

Linganore (here in my state) does a nice (but sweet) "Medieval Mead", best served in big swigs out of the bottle, passed around a council of brave men. They're also the official Mead-makers of the MD Renaissance Faire- that's how I found out about them.

tequila_sunrise said:
at the renfest here, they sell chaucers for $1 an oz... usualy sold in 5 oz increments... Riddiculous!

Which Renfest is that? Here in maryland we have our own commercial mead-producing winery (Linganore / Berrywine Plantation), you can and should look them up, they're nice folks. So the Renfest sells Linganore, though I can't recall prices. They used to sell it by the "yard" (a great big flagon) but I think that's a long gone and sorely missed practice.

Back