5 Liter Kegging with Avanti Mini Pub??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavtek

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Avanti Mini Pub?

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kegerators/pony/MBD5L.shtml

Is it possible to use these 5 liter kegs with the Avanti?

http://www.homebrewadventures.com/shopping/index.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=homebrew&Product_Code=PK-KS

I have yet to find any info suggesting that this isn't possible. Thus far I think that if I am going to go full steam into making my own brew I'm much more likely to stick with it if I can keg it versus bottle it. This seems like the most economical and space efficient method. Correct me if I'm wrong but i could take 4 of these 5L kegs and put 3 in my Fridge and 1 in the Mini Pub. The kegs would stay fresh and sealed in the fridge and in the Mini Pub, so I'd just pop in my new keg when the old ran out. The Avanti is AC/DC so I could potentially take it out tailgating as well. So far I've heard of issues regarding the Avanti and Heineken, not that I care about Heineken so if you have experience or recommend a different 5L kegerator please let me know about it.

Lastly does this seem like a good solution for someone with limited space, time, energy, and funds to get into brewing?

That's an interesting idea. I would still argue for getting a 5 gal cornie kegging setup and and a free fridge from friends or craigslist, but if you don't even have the space for that, this should be workable.

Yes, the cornie is pretty much the only other option, but for life of me the only room I have for a mini fridge really is outside on the back porch. Which would work because it's covered it would just mean anytime I wanted a beer I'd have to go outside. Also with the Cornie I'm not really seeing how that is portable where as with the 5 liter kegs I can throw those in an Ice chest and bring the mini pub with. Or really I don't actually have to have the mini pub with the 5 liters.

I think the other issue you are going to run into with portability is sediment. If you don't want much sediment you tend to force carbonate, which means you need a co2 source. If you don't have that you just prime with sugar, but then you don't have something that's portable (because the sediment might get mixed back in). This little mini-keg thing does have co2, but I think if you got this, I think you will be carbing naturally, and being very careful when you transport the mini-kegs.

All true statements.

Why would you spend $200 on something so small?

As for the kegs...I use the gravity style. It's the one with the red knob down on the bottom and a black rubber and red plastic knob in the bung up top. With this set up you do not need CO2. You open (turn the key on top) the bung and pull the bottom one out and turn to dispense.

If the bottom of the keg does not have this gravity tap then you need a pump and CO2 cartridges to dispense.

Either way, all conditioning is done by 1-2 Tablespoons (TBS not tsp) of corn sugar.

With gravity feed doesn't it go flat? Or does the sugar prevent that? Does it mean I have to continue to add sugar if I do not finish the 5L over a day or 2? I thought the point of the pressure from the CO2 was to keep the beer from going flat.

Back