name idea please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyc318

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have 10 gallons of a Belgian Pale Ale getting ready to be bottled. Im trying to come up with a name. My home brewery is called Pastoria Brewing. I live in Astoria, OR and Im a pastor as my profession. Hence the name Pastoria.

I usually name my brews something to do with church/ Bible or in regards to Astoria Oregon. Examples are : Amen Ale (amber), Noah's dark (CDA), Pastoral pale mild (pale colored mild), Kolumbia Kolsch (live by the Columbia River), Exodus Pale Ale (all mosaic hops). You get the idea.

So, got any ideas? Thanks for your thoughts.

I can get pretty wonky when trying to come up with church themed names for beers. See my Gaudete Biere d'Avent, a beer to which Brett was added on the Third Sunday in Advent, Gaudete Sunday.

This upcoming Sunday is the Fourth Sunday in Lent, sometimes called Laetare Sunday. So you could call it "Laetare Jerusalem" Pale Ale.

Or it will be Easter (depending on your calendar) right when these bottles should be carbonated, so you could play with that. Resurrection Pale, or Surrexit Pale if you (like me) like a good Latin name for your beer.

I warned you I got wonky on these matters. No one ever said I would be a marketing guru.

I can get pretty wonky when trying to come up with church themed names for beers. See my Gaudete Biere d'Avent, a beer to which Brett was added on the Third Sunday in Advent, Gaudete Sunday.

This upcoming Sunday is the Fourth Sunday in Lent, sometimes called Laetare Sunday. So you could call it "Laetare Jerusalem" Pale Ale.

Or it will be Easter (depending on your calendar) right when these bottles should be carbonated, so you could play with that. Resurrection Pale, or Surrexit Pale if you (like me) like a good Latin name for your beer.

I warned you I got wonky on these matters. No one ever said I would be a marketing guru.

Wow! Do u have some church background? Catholic? I dint even know how to pronounce those Latin words. Haha. I like the line of thinking you out into that!

So I am kinda digging the astoria abbey ale. Of course I told my wife the suggestion and she goes, "like dowton abbey?" Darnit. I dont want people to think that.

tonyc318 said:
Our church supports a missionary named Zebedee. Who is this?

Just a Lutheran brewer from Texas. I just thought the name flowed well. And not many people reference him in unless they are just describing his sons so it's unique too. Tell me if you use that as the name. Sounds like you have personal connection to the name too DO IT!!!!!

WWJD

What Would Jesus Drink

Lots of ideas for Astoria to pull from. Fishing, shipping, canning, logging, hatcheries.

You should make a red ale and call it Salmon Ale.

You guys are coming up with some great names. Really helping brainstorm. I like it. I keep thinking about the Astoria Abbey Ale. Last night I thought of Bible Thumper BPA. I can poke fun at myself.
Let me give u some stats on the beer. OG 1.057, IBUs 30, fermented w/ WL abbey ale

Don't laugh but the first beer I brewed and named and still call it as such was named....Beer. Easy to remember and since I brew it more than anything I do not mark the cap with anything. Simple, easy and unassuming.

You guys are coming up with some great names. Really helping brainstorm. I like it. I keep thinking about the Astoria Abbey Ale. Last night I thought of Bible Thumper BPA. I can poke fun at myself.
Let me give u some stats on the beer. OG 1.057, IBUs 30, fermented w/ WL abbey ale

If you want to make it a little campy you could call it Brother Anthony's Astoria Abbey Ale.

I recently had Delirium Tremens- a belgian strong pale ale and kept forgetting the name and calling it 'Delirium Trigger'. It's a song title from Coheed and Cambria, and while nothing religious comes to mind, stylistically it's kind of cool.

I'm thoroughly impressed with some of the names you guys are coming up with. Paraclete, that's great. Haven't heard that word used since I was in Bible college.

Pulled a first sample and took a reading. Sitting at 1.015. 10 days in. Have it set at 72 right now. Check again on Thursday. Tasted pretty good. My first time using WLP 530. Tasted closer to a APA then I thought it might, but maybe I was confusing a little spiciness as bitterness. Nice citrus, almost orange flavor. Def fruity tones. Very very faint pepper. Little alcohol notes. New territory for me here.

Now with some of those tasting notes, would that sound like a description you would expect for a name like Astoria Abbey Ale? That name has been coming to mind the most. Thanks again guys for all your imput on this. I truly appreciate your time.

Sounds like a classic Belgian pale, gold to amber color, good malt backbone, slight fruity esters and a bit of spicy phenolics. Right on the money.

Latest posts

Back