Cider age and bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayfound

Reaction score
OK, so I am a new brewer. Have nice beer setup and my first batch is in the Carboy.

I also came to be the owner of a MR. Beer kit, which I quickly decided would be my Cider machine (assuming I end up liking the cider).

For my 1st batch I did a real quick and dirty job, but here's what I did:

2 gallons juice (tree Top)
17.4 oz table sugar boiled with pinch of citric acid to invert
Steeped raisin liquid (boiled raisins and added liquid to fermenter for nutrients)
Og 1.070
Pitch at 74f , 5g Mr beer yeast pitched dry

Fermenting at 66 F or so.

Now, that being said I keep reading how important aging is with the ciders. My question is this: Does it matter if the age is in the fermenter or in the bottles? I plan on priming and bottling like beer. If it ages as well in bottles, i would like to get it out of the fermenter and get another batch in. Can I pitch on the existing yeast cake?

Finally, for bottles: Is clear fine? With Beer the argument is about lightstruck hops/skunking, but it would seem this wouldn't happen with cider? I don't plan on leaving them to age in the window-sill but they might see some time in lit rooms or whatever. My wife likes Modelo Especial which comes in clear bottles. Any reason not to use those for cider?

OK, so I am a new brewer. Have nice beer setup and my first batch is in the Carboy.

I also came to be the owner of a MR. Beer kit, which I quickly decided would be my Cider machine (assuming I end up liking the cider).

For my 1st batch I did a real quick and dirty job, but here's what I did:

2 gallons juice (tree Top)
17.4 oz table sugar boiled with pinch of citric acid to invert
Steeped raisin liquid (boiled raisins and added liquid to fermenter for nutrients)
Og 1.070
Pitch at 74f , 5g Mr beer yeast pitched dry

Fermenting at 66 F or so.

Now, that being said I keep reading how important aging is with the ciders. My question is this: Does it matter if the age is in the fermenter or in the bottles? I plan on priming and bottling like beer. If it ages as well in bottles, i would like to get it out of the fermenter and get another batch in. Can I pitch on the existing yeast cake?

Finally, for bottles: Is clear fine? With Beer the argument is about lightstruck hops/skunking, but it would seem this wouldn't happen with cider? I don't plan on leaving them to age in the window-sill but they might see some time in lit rooms or whatever. My wife likes Modelo Especial which comes in clear bottles. Any reason not to use those for cider?

Your beer experience will serve you well. Carboys are just big glass bottles, so regular bottles will work. Cider can be pitched onto yeast, and clear bottles are ok, but not ideal of course (think white wine).

and clear bottles are ok, but not ideal of course (think white wine).

Thanks - What about white wine? Just that green would be better?

I took a SG last night (down to 1.013) and ended up drinking it. Both my wife and I found it Drinkable - I tasted a lot of wine-like flavors, but my wife tasted apple. The fact that she found it drinkable was encouraging, this is afterall primarily for her to drink.

I'll let it start bottle aging in a couple more weeks then get another batch pitched on the existing yeast.

Yup, just as green let's in less light. Clear bottles are usually used for white wines because they don't lose color or react as badly as a red does when 'light struck'. Ciders can be thought of like whites, but still try to keep them in the dark!

Back