US05 dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubbster85

Reaction score
Today I am brewing a 3 gal BIAB kit from NB and this will be my first time using dry yeast. My question is do you just simply sprinkle it on the wort and don't stir/shake or do you want to stir it in an aerate then?

With a bucket you can just sprinkle it evenly on top of the wort avoiding clumps and it should work fine without any shaking. When I pour it through a carboy neck it gets clumped into one spot and I find that 'shimmying', or sort of vibrating the carboy fast and lightly to break up the yeast helps it rehydrate a lot better. I've had clumped yeast sit a whole day and still be dry in the middle.

Oh yeah, I aerate before pitching, just shake it really good until its all foamy then sprinkle on foam.

I've always just sprinkled the yeast on top, some make a starter, but I find it's unnecessary. Then again I've already aerated at that point. Either way I wouldn't worry.

If I use dry yeast without hydrating it I'll sprinkle it in the bottom of the carboy and then transfer on top of it. Same as you would do with priming sugar at bottling time.

I aerate before I add the yeast. and sprinkling the dry yeast straight on top works. A few min after I pitch I give it a light stir.

don't rack the beer on top of the yeast. The yeast is suppose to naturally rehydrate while on top of the wort( if you choose the sprinkle method). The most effective method is to just use a bottle of unopened water. Put 4oz in a sanitized measuring jar, sprinkle yeast on top, cover with sanitized foil, wait 30 minutes, stir with a sanitized utensil. Pitch into aerated wort.

I'm not advocating that rehydrating yeast is better then sprinkling on method. Just my experience.

Thanks for all the help. From everything I have read or watched, I'm just going to sprinkle on top. Thanks for everyone's input! My first all grain brewsday!

Why isn't anyone advocating rehydrating the yeast in 90*F water for 30 minutes before pitching? It's a fact: sprinkling yeast on top of wort will certainly make beer, but 50% of the yeast cells will die during the process as they cannot regulate the massive rush of ions etc that quickly cross their cell membranes as they rehydrate. Rehydrating in water first takes zero effort and you'll get nearly 100% viability, thus pitching twice the yeast into your wort and making better beer.

Boil 1/2 a cup of water and pour it into a sanitized liquid measuring cup when you start the wort boil. Cover with sanitized aluminum foil. Check the temperature with a sanitized thermometer, your target is 90*F. Once you hit 90, sprinkle the yeast across the top of the water and give the cup a gentle swirl. 20-30 minutes later the yeast will be a creamy, foamy mass ready to rock and roll in the fermentor. Give the cup a couple of stirs with a sanitized spoon and simply pour (via the liquid measuring cup's handy spout) into your carboy or bucket, using the sanitized spoon to help get the last of that creamy yeasty goodness into the wort.

US05 is the most frequently used yeast in my brewery, and unless I'm repitching washed yeast from a previous batch this is my pitching procedure on every dry yeast brew day.

Cheers! :mug:

Re-hydrate the dry yeast into yeast cream in a stirred vessel prior to pitching. Sprinkle the dry yeast in 10 times its own weight of sterile water or wort at 27C ± 3C (80F ± 6F). Once the expected weight of dry yeast is reconstituted into cream by this method (this takes about 15 to 30 minutes), maintain a gentle stirring for another 30 minutes. Then pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.
Alternatively, pitch dry yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20C (68F). Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes and then mix the wort e.g. using aeration.
-http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/IB/EN/Safale_US-05_IB.pdf

Follow the directions? I’m watching tennis now, so in honor of John McEnroe, You can not be serious.

Back