Pick your brains!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taffy100

Reaction score
Well the more wine I make, the more I learn, but it does seem that the more I read on winemaking the more confusing or conflicting the advice is.

I'm wondering if anyone here bottles their wine without adding campden tablets? I would love to have as natural a finished product as possible.

Also I have a batch of mandarin wine that is a bit iffy smelling, it is crystal clear though. I am going to run it over copper as recommended by a helpful sole on here. But I would love to bottle it then and allow it to age in my cool garage for as long as it may take to improve so that I can make way for other wines coming through. It's less than two months old though. Would this be a problem?

Thanks in advance for your ideas. :mug:

if the stinky smell does not go away then do not bottle it. If the stinky smell goes away then yes, go ahead...Aging will not get rid of h2s, if anything it will make it worse.

IMHO if you choose not to use SO2 when bottling your wine (assuming you have used SO2 during your winemaking process) you are risking your wine. You have invested a lot of time and resources to your winemaking and SO2 serves a purpose: inhibit wild and spoilage yeasts and unwanted bacteria (this can include the malolactic bacteria at sufficiently high SO2 levels); help prevent oxidation and preserve fruity flavour and freshness in wine. I consider SO2 to be natural because this chemical comes from nature.

if your not going to use so2 atleast use some vitamin c, its a natural preservative....good luck, almost all major wineries use sulphites but there are some that don't and im not sure if all thier bottles make it....

Back