Coopers yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
What %ABV are the Coopers kit yeasts good for before I need to ditch it and use high alcohol yeast?

I don't believe Coopers even goes there. Almost all beer yeast is good for 10% or better, but with some of them it may taste like butt at the upper end. I wouldn't try a barleywine with it, but that's just me. I'd say you could brew most common styles with no trouble at all. what are you brewing?

Something strong, maybe 4 Coopers kits mixed together.

coopers yeast is not that great. If you're planning on 4 cans of extract in 1 five gallon batch, I would get something better. US-05 maybe, or Nottingham. Even windsor though it might finish a bit sweet n fruity.

coopers yeast is not that great. If you're planning on 4 cans of extract in 1 five gallon batch, I would get something better. US-05 maybe, or Nottingham. Even windsor though it might finish a bit sweet n fruity.

Coopers is a good temperature resistant yeast in my experience, going to much higher temps than others before giving the characteristic clove and banana esthers.

Coopers is a good temperature resistant yeast in my experience, going to much higher temps than others before giving the characteristic clove and banana esthers.

I agree..... I typically use US 04, with good results. However my dad religiously uses coopers and I must say his beers have great FG, and taste results. Considering the cost difference I am switching most of my recipes to Coopers.

I will third the temperature tolerance. Only yeast that works good in Riverside, where I am lucky to get 80F with a ac full blast. On a side note I could have bought a freezer for how my power bill is during the summer.

Regardless of whatever yeast strain to decide upon, I think if you are going to attempt a high-gravity beer by using 2x-4x the amount of cooper's kits you should strongly consider using a yeast starter.

So should I ditch the Coopers yeast if I'm mixing 4 kits together and use some better yeast?

ideally you will use a yeast with well known characteristics and make a massive yeast starter for a beer like you described.

The Wiki states that making a starter is not recommend when using dry yeast. However, some manufacturers (like Lallemand) suggest to rehydrate the yeast before pitching.

I always rehydrate my dry yeast for 15-30 minutes before pitching. Maybe I should use a liquid yeast for such a brew?

Currently trying Cooper's for the first time. Fermentation started within an hour of pitching. I like that, there's something satisfying about it. I'll repost after I've tasted this batch.

Back