Help diagnose IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
My IPA was keggeg about ten days ago and samples tasted great. Now 10 day later it has a weird after taste almost very herbal or slightly medicine like. the bitterness over all seems harsher and the soma and flavor less bright.

I dry hopped with Columbus centennial and citra. It's also a recipe I've done in the past with great success minus the citra hops.

What gives?

.5 citra / .5 Columbus / 1 oz centennial. It's been ten days dh.

Hops are still in the keg. On my last ipa I left them until it was tapped probably like a month.

that's not a ton. but i often get a real herbal/vegetal taste if i leave 2 or 3 oz on for too much longer than a week

If you dry hopped in the keg, try shaking it up a bit... the hops may be resting right beside the diptube.

Whoa! That's way too much hops for five gallons and 10 days. You love hops!

:rockin:

Let it age out for a month to six weeks, and it should calm down. Certain hop characteristics fall off over time.

Whoa! That's way too much hops for five gallons and 10 days. You love hops!

:rockin:

Let it age out for a month to six week, and it should calm down. Certain hop characteristics fall off over time.

+1 I'd have cut it down to 1 oz total..

BTW, Love your website Tim.. good sound.. :ban:

I've dry hopped with two ounces in the past and it was great. Do you really only dh with an ounce per five gallons?

I've dry hopped with two ounces in the past and it was great. Do you really only dh with an ounce per five gallons?

If I'm using citrusy leaf hops and extending toward two weeks, I use a half to one ounce. But that's based purely on personal preference.

I do as much as 3 oz for ten days in one of my ipas but it gets a little grassy taste for a few weeks

Back