Honey Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChargersSB

Reaction score
Hi everybody! I am going to be attempting my first all grain batch on my next brew session. This will also be my first time creating my own recipe instead of using a kit, so I want to get some advice/feedback. I want to do a honey blonde ale that has a slight toastiness to it. Ideally I want to take this on a vacation to San Diego in September (when should I brew it?). This is what I plugged into Beersmith. Any suggestions, critiques etc. would be awesome. I am building a cooler MLT and will be doing batch sparging. What temp(s) should I mash at? I can't wait to start all grain brewing and creating recipes.

-8 lbs Pilsner 2 row
-8 oz crystal 20L
-8 oz Vienna Malt
-1 lbs Honey (orange blossom or something like that)

-1/2 oz nugget 60 mins
-1/2 oz amarillo 5 mins

**My choices for hops in Beersmith had nugget at 13%AA and amarillo at 8.5%AA, but who knows what it would be when ordered. **Estimated IBUs: 27.6
**Estimated OG: 1.055

***Oh and I forgot yeast, what yeast would be recommended, WLP001 (Wyeast 1056), WLP029 (Wyeast 2565)(Kolsch), or some other strain?

What do you all think? I kind of what a session type beer, but not too light and with some toastiness and hops; but overall an easy drinking beer. Will that much honey really dry it out a lot?

I would suggest giving yourself at min 6 weeks. 3 week for primary and 3 weeks to condition. But that also depends what yeast you use, if you use the Kolsch I would give it a couple more weeks.

If it were me i would use the WLP0001 on something like that.

I would boil for at least 75 minutes with that much pilsner malt. I usually boil for 90 minutes when using pilsner as a base.

This is all very new to me. What is the reason for having to boil longer when using Pilsner malts? I think I will end up using 001, 1056 or US-05 for the yeast. I'll attempt mashing at 153. Also, I may switch up the hop schedule a bit to dial down the IBUs. I don't want it to be too bitter as I want an easy drinking beer. Although, I do love hoppy beers, but my wife doesn't so much. What about:
-6lbs Pilsner
-1lbs Vienna
-4oz crystal 20L
-.25 oz Magnum 60 mins
-.5 oz Amarillo 5 mins or flameout
-1 lb honey 5 mins
-mash at 153

Back