Storing the brew rig outside in Canadian winter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie3

Reaction score
I was able to get the brew rig nearly complete.

The problem is that I don't have a garage or any room left in my shed to store this baby.

My goal is to pain this with high temperature and weather resistant paint and store it out on my deck with a tarp covering it from the cold Canadian temperatures.

I live in Nova scotia which is near the atlantic ocean on the east coast of canada so temperatures fluctuate rapidly between -20 and +4 every week deg C.

Your thoughts?

2011-02-20_10-42-35_64_Halifax.jpg

UDCEDkWYuH5CW758M4sXx9p_6Tl3nnL1Lb8GjIcMhaI

It might not stay pretty, but I don't see how the cold could affect steel too much. I would worry about rust. Could you find a grill cover or a tarp or something to wrap it up in when not in use? I wouldn't really want it outside bare...

My wife and I cycled in Cuba last April. After two weeks the steel parts were orange with rust. I'd be a bit concerned with salt spray.

B

Have you thougth about galvanizing the brew stand. I know couriers I work with galvanize everything. The cold won't affect steel, but the plastic cooler might have issues with thermoshock when brewing.

Have you thougth about galvanizing the brew stand. I know couriers I work with galvanize everything. The cold won't affect steel, but the plastic cooler might have issues with thermoshock when brewing.

I was only going to store the brew rig outside and cover it with a bbq tarp of some kind. The pots and mash tun will be stored indoors.

Talk to me when you have brewed outside in a Canadian Winter.

Sadly, I have numerous times. Last time I brewed the water used for cooling the wort froze instantly as it hit the driveway and i almost fell and broke a leg.

LOL i just noticed you are from ontario. While we might not get the constant -20-30 temps like you do, ours fluctuates a lot which can lead to a lot of freezing and thawing in a short period of time, which has me more worried about condensation buildup, etc...

I regularly travel to Ottawa so I know how cold it can get up there.

Back