The Sunday Drive

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambledegg81

Flocculation Nation
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely a lost tradition amongst many people today. By yourself, or with the fam in tow, nothing really pulls the plug on stress & worry like piling into the car, cranking up some good jazz, and just driving for a few hours.

Ahhhhh.

Overrated. Sunday drives around here mean being stuck behind the leaf peepers who act as if nobody else has anywhere to go.

Boo hoo. A few thousand people come to look at the beautiful trees for what, a week or two out the year?

Try living in an area where hundreds of millions of people* from Phoenix and Tucson come every ****ing weekend from before Memorial Day to past Labor Day

:D

* -Aand yes, that is an exaggeration. A slight one. ;)

Boo hoo. A few thousand people come to look at the beautiful trees for what, a week or two out the year?
Sort of. We get people all year who want to see where Meryl Streep, Kevin Bacon, Michael J. Fox, etc., etc., spend their summers. They'll drive around aimlessly for hours on the country roads.

Besides, nobody under the age of 65 purposely goes to Arizona. :p

I've got over-exaggerated memories of the Sunday drive thanks to my stepdad who rolled my brother and I around the county in one of these:

1963-Austin-Healey-3000-MK2-BJ7-black.jpg

Sort of. We get people all year who want to see where Meryl Streep, Kevin Bacon, Michael J. Fox, etc., etc., spend their summers. They'll drive around aimlessly for hours on the country roads.

Don't forget all those people who go there to see where "One Crazy Summer" was filmed :D

Besides, nobody under the age of 65 purposely goes to Arizona. :p

So when should I expect you? (like you couldn't see that coming! ;))

We take drives occasionally, usually to explore areas that we haven't been to. Take a drive up one of the mountain roads and look at houses. Not really a "Sunday" thing, per se, but if we're coming back from Target or whathaveyou and the kids need a nap, we'll find a long way to take home.

Dear Gawd, no! Sunday drives in my family meant being stuck in a hot car (Dad didn't believe in wasting good gas mileage on trifles like air conditioning) being carsick (couldn't see out because "only old people have 4 door cars" no matter having two little kids) for hours while compelled to listen to REALLY bad country/western music from the 80's. All for the purpose of visiting weird old smelly relatives who try to serve you potted meat on saltines and who obviously wondered why the hell you came along and ruined their quiet Sunday afternoon at home. It was the Bataan Death march on 4 wheels.

<shudder>

When I was a teenager I'd do the Sunday drive thing. Fill up the car ('86 Celica GT) with gas, hit the road randomly heading somewhere and turn around when the tank's half empty. It was awesome!

Definitely a lost tradition amongst many people today. By yourself, or with the fam in tow, nothing really pulls the plug on stress & worry like piling into the car, cranking up some good jazz, and just driving for a few hours.

Ahhhhh.

Work got so screwed up and crazy yesterday I ended up taking a Sunday drive on Tuesday.

Back