When Will it Stop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgrizzly

Reaction score
Been Fermenting in the primary for 8 days now (old Rogue IPA Squared Clone) and still seeing decent activity. In my less than 300 gallon history I've never seen something carry on this long.

My questions:

Is this normal?
Is this simply residual activity that is not necessarily yeast based?
Shall I wait to transfer to a secondary vessel?

I thank you in advance.

Yeast used, starter size and fermentation temperature please. OG wouldn't hurt.

And don't worry about a secondary. If I've learned anything from my short tenure on this board so far, it's (join in at any point guys)"
- Secondaries are usually not necessary unless you are bulk aging, dry hopping, or making a really big beer (see bulk aging)
- The yeast know what they're doing. If you pitched a proper amount of healthy yeast, autolysis is not an issue, even if you leave on the primary yeast cake 3+ weeks
- DO NOT rack now. Green apples are better in a pie than in a beer. Personal experience. I have a keg of Acetaldehyde IPA on my hands now because I got impatient and racked too soon.

OG - 1.052
1 Liter Starter using the finest Chico Yeast
1oz Amarillo Buds - Dry H.
Temp = ~68 F

Estimated ABV = 8.9%, probably why it's taking so darn long.

Thanks for the replies, patience is a virtue.

Yeah, it can be different every time. That is one of the cool things about it. Mine usually finish bubbling in three or four days, but sometimes they go for a week+. They all sit for at least four weeks and I only primary.

Today when I go to the LHBS, I am going to get some rubber stoppers that will fit half gallon clear bourbon bottles. I am going to have some mini fermentors as center pieces for my kegerator.

I ferment in plastic buckets, and like I told my lesbian sistier in law... I like to watch.

:off:A few years ago, my wife and I were going on a cruise. We invited my sister in law and her girlfriend to go with us. They were very greatfull and wanted to know how they could pay me back. I said " i just wanna watch." So any way, she got me this really nice watch. I still have it.:off:

OG - 1.052
1 Liter Starter using the finest Chico Yeast
1oz Amarillo Buds - Dry H.
Temp = ~68 F

Estimated ABV = 8.9%, probably why it's taking so darn long.

Thanks for the replies, patience is a virtue.

1.052 = 8.9% ABV? Even if your yeast attenuated 100% I don't think that's possible. (Maybe I'm missing something though, still relatively new at this hobby :fro: )

Back