Quick help please. Dextrose + Sucrose for priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonClayton

Reaction score
I was hoping to bottle tonight as the next few days are going to be hectic. I just realized that I am short on dextrose, I have 2.8 ounces of dextrose.

I remember back to the mr beer days (ugh) that sucrose (table sugar) was used to prime.

Would it work if i added a little table sugar to my dextrose to bring it up to enough to bottle a 5 gallon batch? Is the dosage the same? I usually use 4-5 ounces of dextrose, so I could add 1.5 ounces of table sugar.

Thanks

you can probably do this with no major problems. I think Palmer has references on how much of each sugar type to use for priming on howtobrew.com.

If you have dry malt extract laying around, you can also use that to prime.

I do have a large bag of light DME. I'll have to look into the dosage for that.

Any adverse effects?

No, you can use just about any sugar for priming. Honey, table sugar, corn sugar, DME, LME, etc and the results are about the same.

The amounts are a little different. For DME, I've used 1.5 cups in 2 cups boiling water. For corn sugar, I've used 4 ounces (by weight) in water. (All for a 5 gallon batch). For table sugar and other sugars, check the amount in a priming calculator, like this: http://kotmf.com/tools/prime.php

The amount of table sugar would be very close to the amount of corn sugar, though. Maybe a slightly different amount.

Thank you maam' :)

I am reading that DME takes longer to carb so I think i want to use table. Does table sugar carb up as quickly as dextrose?

Table sugar will work. It is slightly produces slightly more CO2, but not enough to throw things off. It will work as quickly as dextrose. DME can be used, it will leave a krausen ring around the top of the beer line in the bottle though (at least that is what is written about it, I've never tried it). I wouldn't use honey, since you never know how much sugar is in a cup of honey.

Back