Southern Wisconsin Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vine and Hop is a nice store in Madison. It is on Monroe street near Camp Randall Stadium. Friendly and helpful staff, but I have only been there once. Nice selection of grains and hops. Equipment selection is average. They crush grains for free, but that is common.

Brew and Grow is another place in Madison, but it should be called GROW and brew. The brewing stuff is confined to two small aisles in the front of the store, half of which is Brewers Best extract kits. The other 90,000 sq ft is dedicated to indoor reefer gardening supplies. The staff there doesn't know much about brewing, but they really like Phish.

There is a Zymurgy Outfitters in Oregon, WI, which is closer to Janesville. Never been there.

I really like Phish also, I know wht you mean I've been there a few times. I thought there prices were a little high, same with the brew and grow. For that matter it seems like Madison in general has an increased price on just about anything you buy here. I come from pittsburgh and im pretty sure it was cheaper to live there than it is to live here. But I digress! Sorry for the rant. Thanks for the input thought there might just be a place I was missing where prices were a little better.

As with a lot of stores, some items are reasonable, some are not. I just picked up a grain card from Wine and Hop ($68 for 50lbs of grain) that allows you to get a good price on specialty grains ($1.24/lb). Their bulk grain prices are fairly reasonable too. It beats waiting for that next drive to the Twin Cities or paying for shipping for 50lbs of grain.

I've been to Zymurgy Outfitters a few times. The selection varies, but the owner is a good guy and would probably be able to order anything you'd want. They did a homebrew demo at the Oregon, WI Micro Brew Fest last year which is a fun event. Home

Also check out it's big brother. The Great Taste of the Midwest: Great Taste of the Midwest

Wine & Hop Shop is my go-to HBS. Love the folks there, and the prices are totally reasonable. I would also recommend you join the Madison Homebrewers and Tasters Guild (mhtg.org). It's only $25/yr and they'll hook you up with free grains, hops, and a 10% discount at W&H Shop. Not to mention we're a great group of people and another good recourse to have around. Oh, we also put on the biggest beer fest in the midwest :cross:

I'd agree on the Wine and Hop shop. Get the grain card, it brings the cost of grain down. They have a great selection of yeast as well, pretty much carry every wyeast strain available and it's always fresh. Most of the employees are friendly as well.

They have gift certificates which make great gifts........so if the wife or someone doesn't know what to get you, tell them a gift cert. They'll do them over the phone.

Thanks guys, been to the W&H a few times. I spoke to my wife's boss down here at the Co-op in Janesville and i think she's going to let me expand their selection of supplies. I cant run to Madison on a whim if i forget something so I'm trying to source something a little more local to me. Any of you brewers down here near Janesville let me know if you want anything stocked in particular. Hopefully I can start with 4-5 base malts and 10-12 speciality grains. We'll see what happens. Thanks guys this site is awesome!

Back