Have a ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtgirl20

Reaction score
When making homemade whine from juice, yeast, and water can you use regular active baking yeast? My friend says he uses it and it works. I bought a pound of yeast online but turns out it was beer yeast and don't work with makin whine. Can I use the baking yeast or do I have I buy special whine yeast

It doesn't work particularly well. You would be better off either buying a cheap pack of wine yeast or just use the beer yeast

It will work fine but bread yeast has a lower alcohol tolerance, and tends to leave a bready taste. For 49 cents I'd spring for a pack of Lalvin.

Bluespark said:
It doesn't work particularly well. You would be better off either buying a cheap pack of wine yeast or just use the beer yeast

I tried the beer yeast 3 times and it does not want to start fermenting right so I decided I try regular yeast when I bought The beer yeast off amazon I though it was whine yeast at first

Latest posts

Back