Pabst Blue RIbbon malt extract cook book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friarjohn

Reaction score
Hi all,
I came across a neat little cook booklet. It was put out by pabst blue ribbon. It was published in 1928. According to my research that is sort or the middle of prohibition. it calls for hopped and unhopped malt extract. It has every thing from hopped donuts to halibut steak with dressing. i will be trying some when I pick up some malt extract. I know I'm probably not suppose to but i scanned it and have it in pdf format. I will share if any one would like. Just pm me and I will email it.

It's probably not any good. I think the just had to publish recipes as a pretext for selling hopped extract and yeast that were used for illegal beer making.

If my memory serves me, I recall a few on here mentioning that they had prohibition time beer recipes from Pabst also, apparently if you ordered that book which you have it would be sent out to you. Two weeks later a plain brown envelope would arrive unmarked with beer recipes, as remilard says it was a cover.

It's probably not any good. I think the just had to publish recipes as a pretext for selling hopped extract and yeast that were used for illegal beer making.

Blue Ribbon Malt is now:

http://www.premiermalt.com/malt.products.html

And here is another similar company:

http://www.maltproducts.com/

In this area, until recently, malt extract was stocked in the bakery section of most grocery stores; the above company web sites show that malt extract is a lot more than brewing.

And, yes, friarjohn, I would like to see the "cook book", thanks for sharing what you found. I have been wanting to get to the book stores to see if I could find a copy.

[email protected]

Blue Ribbon Malt is now:

http://www.premiermalt.com/malt.products.html

And here is another similar company:

http://www.maltproducts.com/

In this area, until recently, malt extract was stocked in the bakery section of most grocery stores; the above company web sites show that malt extract is a lot more than brewing.

And, yes, friarjohn, I would like to see the "cook book", thanks for sharing what you found. I have been wanting to get to the book stores to see if I could find a copy.

[email protected]

I realize malt extract is used in baking. Hopped malt extract only has one purpose though.

masteveine i tred to send it to you twice with the posted email address an i get a delivery failure notice.

I ended up on this thread because I just learned some family history from my 88 year old dad. Since I'm from a strictly teetotalling family, I wanted to know if I was the only Black Sheep. When I asked if anyone in the family drank at all, he said, "No, no... Well, you know your Grandpa used to drink beer. He brewed Blue Ribbon in the basement."
NO, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT!!! It's genetic!
So, I've been starting to research what Grandpa used to brew, so I could try to duplicate a batch. - "Cheers, Gramps!"
I would really love to get a copy of the recipe book you described, friarjohn - I'll try to contact you directly, but I thought others might enjoy the story...

I ended up on this thread because I just learned some family history from my 88 year old dad. Since I'm from a strictly teetotalling family, I wanted to know if I was the only Black Sheep. When I asked if anyone in the family drank at all, he said, "No, no... Well, you know your Grandpa used to drink beer. He brewed Blue Ribbon in the basement."
NO, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT!!! It's genetic!
So, I've been starting to research what Grandpa used to brew, so I could try to duplicate a batch. - "Cheers, Gramps!"
I would really love to get a copy of the recipe book you described, friarjohn - I'll try to contact you directly, but I thought others might enjoy the story...

You'll like this thread. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/premier-malt-extract-69019/

Also the original beer recipes from the prohibition era are readily available online, they might even be in that thread. The beer recipes were NOT in the "baking with Blue Ribbon" book. You usually wrote for a recipe book, and if you mentioned beer, a few days later they sent you a bunch of mimeographed sheets in a plain brown envelop with the beer recipes on them.

The story of that can be found in this episode of Basic Brewing Radio for 2008.

February 14, 2008 - Homebrew History
Charlie Papazian shares a bit of homebrew history 30 years after legislation legalizing home brewing passed Congress. Also, home brewer Robb Holmes talks about brewing when it was breaking the law.

Click to listen- mp3

I knew I had posted the links to the old recipes someplace on here. I am the king of the search. :D

I posted this several years ago.....Stuff I found on the web.

Around 1975 or '76, the first time I got interested in brewing, I bought a can of the mysterious Blue Ribbon malt syrup. The label invited me to write to Premier malt products for a recipe book, and I did. A few weeks later it arrived: a well-produced, four-color print job with recipes for using malt syrup in cakes, cookies, biscuits and the like, but not a word about making beer. A few weeks later a plain brown envelope with no return address appeared in the mail. Inside were two mimeographed sheets of beer recipes---including this recipe.
Ingredients:
1-3/4 pounds, sugar
1 can, Blue Ribbon hop-flavored malt syrup
yeast
Procedure:
Dissolve sugar and malt syrup in 6 quarts of hot water. Stir until dissolved. Pour 14 quarts of cold water into a crock that has been scoured with Arm & Hammer baking soda and rinsed with clear water. Add hot solution of malt, sugar, and water. The temperature should be about 65F. Dissolve a cake of compressed or dehydrated yeast in a small quantity of luke warm water (about 8 ounces of 75F water) and add to crock. Stir thoroughly. Cover crock with clean cloth and allow to ferment 4 or 5 days. Skim off foam after first and second days. Siphon beer into 12 ounce bottles. Before siphoning, place a scant 1/2 teaspoon of sugar into each bottle. Cap and allow to remain at 60-70F for 7-10 days. Cool and consume.
Things to remember: Cleanliness of utensils, including bottles, siphon hose, crowns and crock is essential for good results. Wash everything in soda solution or detergentbefore and after each batch. A 7 or 9 gallon crock can be used to prevent messy foam-over.

Many consumer failures can be averted by using a starter consisting of: 1 package of yeast, 2 ounces of sugar, 1 pint of 72F water. Let starter stand for 3-4 hours before mixing into crock with malt solution.

Here's some more of the recipes from those days...

Here's some of the "Prohibition Pilsner" recipes that were discretely mailed to people who wrote to the blue ribbon malt extract company....They came in plain brown envelopes with no return address and were simple mimeographs.

Blue Ribbon 1

Blue Ribbon 2

My Daddy's Beer Recipe

Al Capone's Recipe (AG)

Al Capone's Prohibition Beer

Another one
Prohibition Chicago Style

Wow. I bow to the king...
This should keep me busy for a while. After reading through the other thread, I'm really intrigued by trying out some bathtub beer. Now, to score some of that Premier... I haven't seen a Wobbly Hog since leaving Illinois. I wonder what the Minnesota equivalent is?

Back in 1950's I use to brew beer with my dad the way he made it back in Prohibition days.
A stone crock, 5 gallons of water, 1 can Blue Ribbon Malt,5 lbs sugar, 1 cake of baking yeast. Cover with a towel let ferment for a week or so. Add a teaspoon of sugar to each bottle. Cross your fingers that the bottle didn't blow

What did I know? Helped dad bottle in the basement. Came home from school and sampled the brew. Who knew I would be brewing my own now. Yes, We had blowups in the basement. Too soon or too much sugar.
P.S. Can't find Premier Malt in California.

I would be interested in the cookbook file. My wife is chomping at the bit to use my brewing supplies to bake with!

Back