Does eating liver help yours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Karr

Reaction score
I brought in a couple pounds of liver to cook at work, so my homies and I could enjoy it with horseradish mustard. Only time we can cook it is when the boss's wife is absent.

The thought crosses my mind, "Does eating liver have any effect in counteracting the damage we cause to ours?"

What do you think?:D

Yes, Yes, Eating liver is good for your liver. Also try drinking your urine. You'd be so surprised all the VITImins you're lossing out of your pee. :fro:

Yes, Yes, Eating liver is good for your liver. Also try drinking your urine. You'd be so surprised all the VITImins you're lossing out of your pee. :fro:

I do this every morning in the shower but it's really hard to aim in my mouth.

try drinking your urine. You'd be so surprised all the VITImins you're lossing out of your pee. :fro:

Anyone else find it humorous that ChillyP says drink your pee ? On the rocks?

-OCD

I do this every morning in the shower but it's really hard to aim in my mouth.

I have this problem too, but found if I just wrap it around my waist a couple of times, it's not so unwieldy. :D

OK, guys........yes, I know the question is not earth-shaking, and it's kind of silly. I didn't expect the fourth grade response like, "He said poopee!"

I remember when The Ted Mack Amateur Hour was sponsored by Geritol in the late 50's and early 60's, they used to claim, "It has as much iron as a pound of calve's liver." Obviously, eating liver does have some health benefits. I'd just like to know if those benefits kind of offset the abuse that drinking hands out to the liver of the drinker.

Morning pees are the best.

Ironically I know of a couple of well known MMA fighters that actually advocate drinking your own urine.

Not exactly a practice I would take up... Then again, Im not wearing a world title either...
-Me

No. Eating liver will not help your liver if you have damaged it from alcohol abuse.

Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis is scarring of the liver. Scar tissue forms because of injury or long-term disease. Scar tissue cannot do what healthy liver tissue does - make protein, help fight infections, clean the blood, help digest food and store energy. Cirrhosis can lead to

* Easy bruising or bleeding, or nosebleeds
* Swelling of the abdomen or legs
* Extra sensitivity to medicines
* High blood pressure in the vein entering the liver
* Enlarged veins in the esophagus and stomach
* Kidney failure

About 5 percent of people with cirrhosis get liver cancer.

Cirrhosis has many causes. In the United States, the most common causes are chronic alcoholism and hepatitis. Nothing will make the scar tissue disappear, but treating the cause can keep it from getting worse. If too much scar tissue forms, you may need to consider a liver transplant.

Liver is super rich in vitamin A and iron as well as many other vitamins. As you know, the liver is also responsible for filtering out most of the toxins that enter the body. As long as the animal was not eating a poor diet filled with toxins then this really doesn't matter.

However, I can't see why it would specifically help liver damage from alcohol whether its alcoholic hepatitis (comes before cirrhosis) or alcoholic cirrhosis.

Liver is super rich in vitamin A and iron as well as many other vitamins. As you know, the liver is also responsible for filtering out most of the toxins that enter the body. As long as the animal was not eating a poor diet filled with toxins then this really doesn't matter.

However, I can't see why it would specifically help liver damage from alcohol whether its alcoholic hepatitis (comes before cirrhosis) or alcoholic cirrhosis.

Polar Bear liver is so high in vitamin A, if you eat it, you'll over dose and die.
- Dr. Michael Savage: "Savage Nation"

Back