Is saison supposed to be overly sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerPressure

Reaction score
Somebody gave me a bottle of homebrew saison and it tastes f'n sour as hell, like an infection. It also poured 95% foam into the glass. I looked at the BJCP guide and it said "optional sour character" but this is overwhelming.

A saison may be sour, but overt sourness is not a desireable trait in saisons. The "infection" may have been intentional (if not graceful). On the other hand, he may have brewed a whit and got an infection and called it a saison, thinking he could pull it off.

Well, his beers are known to be infected. Every beer has a sour smell and taste. I had to dump it, i did not taste any traits other than sourness.

I've tried a couple of commercial saisons and they were not much tart, so I doubt that is what you'd want in a homebrew. I think this guy needs to stop sucking on his siphon hose!

Yea the Saisons i've had in the past have been very similary to a malty tripel, and not overly sour. Maybe a slight tartness. The gusher = infection IMO.

Back