Oat malt in porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyrhine

Reaction score
Hey,
Was looking in a brew magazine kinda casually thinking about making a porter recipe and came across oat malt. I've never used it before but the description definitely intrigued me. I'm looking at designing a 5 gallon robust porter but haven't really decided on the grain. I was just wondering how much of the oak malt to try and any of your experiences with it. Thanks for putting up with me.

Haha about the same I got from my research. Guess I'll just hafta make a recipe with and with out and see the difference. About a week out from ordering, if your interested ill post some tasting notes here. Glad to see I'm not the only one in the dark on this.

Haha about the same I got from my research. Guess I'll just hafta make a recipe with and with out and see the difference. About a week out from ordering, if your interested ill post some tasting notes here. Glad to see I'm not the only one in the dark on this.

Yes, I am interested. Any tasting notes would be appreciated.

I have my first AG Porter in the primary now. My LHBS guy recomended 8 oz toasted oats, so I did that.
I kicked it up a notch, I have 2 oz oak chips soaking in Jack Daniels and intend to toast them and pitch into the secondary for a 1 week visit before bottling.

Man, All I wanna do is go Homebrew!:mug:

Oat malt is fairly common in stouts which are similar to porters, so it should be a good fit. I have also had an APA with oats, lends a silky mouthfeel to the beer.

My local homebrew shop carries malted oats, and I use them pretty liberally in my brewing. I've brewed with oats for many years, but the past year is the first I've had malted oats available locally. In my experience, everything you get with whatever unmalted oats you've used in the past you will get with malted oats, plus a little more malty flavor. All my porters and stouts absolutely get them as well as many of the Belgian styles I brew. I'm sticking with malted oats too now that I have a reliable local source. As for an amount, I go with 10 to 20 percent of the total grain bill. Most are closer to the 10% range, but I recently did an oatmeal stout that malted oats were 25% of the pale malt.

Back