WLP 400 Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullinachinashop

Reaction score
I just brewed an Belgin Wit and have a healty yeast cake that I want to use.

I am really just being too lazy to wash it and would rather spend the time brewing. :D

I'm wondering what beers other than a Wit people have used this for. The obvious would be a Belgin anything, but I want to think outside that box.

My first thought is an IPA with Citra.

I'm open to ideas and would like to brew this week, as I just harvested yesterday and want to use some of the cake within a week.

Thoughts?

Bull

An IPA would be fine. A local brewery down here just released a Belgian IPA that's probably similar to what you're proposing.

Lighter German ale styles would also match up pretty well with that yeast, as well as a nice farmhouse saison.

I looked at Belgium hops and am not really seeing a characteristic that I can use or that sounds interesting.

Thought are welcome.

Bull

i used some citra & summit pretty lightly in a wit awhile ago and it was very nice. it could definitely go stronger, so I think your first thought for an IPA should work well. I do hate deschuttes/Boulevards white IPA tho, but thats cuz it was over-spiced IMO

I had an Goose Island Matilda today, thinking I may go the BPA route, I didn't care for it.
It was very medicinal.
I don't often drink Belgians and I hope they don't all taste like that!
So definitly going back to the IPA thought.

I'm thinking of a european IPA
12# Cont Pils
1.25# Rye
1# Caravienna
.25 Biscuit
1 oz Magnum 60 13.1AA /40.6 IBU
1 oz Styrian Goldings 20
1 oz Styrian Goldings 10
1 oz Styrian Goldings 5
1 oz Styrian Goldings 0
1 oz Styrian Goldings DH

Healthy pitch of WLP400 and ferment @66
Mash low and long, 150 for 90 min or more.
90 min boil

OG 1.075
FG 1.012
IBU 54.3
SRM 7.7
ABV 8.1

Input?

Bull

Dubbel's or trippel's - I've made amazing dubbels re-using yeast from wit beers.

I really wanted to stay away from an Belgian.

On the recipe above, I think I may omit the Rye. I'm not sure the flavors will go well together with the yeast and hops.

Still looking for other suggestions.

Bull

It's hard to not make something that's not belgian like with an expressive yeast like wlp400.

You have me totally confused as to what you want to do because this is hands down a belgian profile yeast. Trying to making something not belgian like with a belgian yeast is tough.....

I'm not sure either, I like the spicyness or the yeast and want to combine it with other complimentary flavors.

I'm not a fan of some of the medicinal Belgians I've tried lately, so that is why I was looking outside of the typical profile.

Back