hop quantity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWibble

Reaction score
hey all,
The recipe calls for 2.75 oz. of hallertau and i had to buy 3 oz. will it be ok to throw it all in or would that not be advised?

You could if you want to, and I say, why not? Would you happen to be boiling less than the recipe states, and topping off later? Is the alpha acid percentage of your hops lower than the recipe states? Adding more hops can help for better hop utilization in small boils and bring a low AA% hop to the right IBUs for the beer style.

Chances are, I don't think you will notice much from .25 oz.

i figured it would be ok. don't wanna waste perfectly good hops if i don't have too

Throw the whole 3oz in. Hallertau is a relatively low alpha hop. The increase in IBU will probably be at- or below the threshold of human perception (5 IBU).

It's less than 10% difference; That's probably less than:

- The AA loss from keeping them in the fridge for 6 months
- The difference between using leaf vs. pellet.
- The difference between using full vs. partial boil.
- The difference between rolling boil vs. simmer.
- The IBU difference between Rager/Tinseth/Garetz.

This hobby has a lot of variations, which result in many different beers from the same identical recipe; 10% will not be noticeable.

Just use them. Seems pointless saving 0.25 ozs.

If you are really concerned that it will upset the bittering balance (which it will not), you could just toss the extra 0.25 ozs in at the end to get a hint of aroma.

Back