First Gluten Free Brew Couple of Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thirdedition

Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with a quick and easy session brew for a friend of mine for New Years. If I put together something like a SMaSH brew with White Sorghum Syrup instead of malt extract what can I expect?

I've read that using Sorghum can be too citrusy, but is there anything I can do to mellow that out besides over hopping it?

Also has anyone had any success making gluten free beer recipes in Beersmith? Thanks.

I'm trying to come up with a quick and easy session brew for a friend of mine for New Years. If I put together something like a SMaSH brew with White Sorghum Syrup instead of malt extract what can I expect?

I've read that using Sorghum can be too citrusy, but is there anything I can do to mellow that out besides over hopping it?

Also has anyone had any success making gluten free beer recipes in Beersmith? Thanks.

Can't really help with the first two, I'm trying to figure that out myself...another member here suggested using a portion of brown rice syrup to tone down on the taste of the sorghum syrup, I'm going to attempt to use more and see what happens- look here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/sorghum-syrup-v-brown-rice-syrup-144109/#post1672969 post 6.

I use BeerSmith to formulate my recipes to style and to keep records. You will have to add the sorghum syrup and any other gluten-free grains yourself.

Good luck :rockin:

Would you mind sharing what you put in for SRM and potential alcohol for sorghum?

Sorghum_Syrup.bmp

Well I pulled the trigger on some ingredients. I'm going to try and brew up a simple Honey Blonde Ale. I'll post up my ingredients and some pictures after I brew. Hopefully it will be ready for New Years.

The Briess site even disagrees with itself about whether the lovibond is 1.5SRM or 3SRM. From my experience, Sorghum syrups are closer to 1.5SRM.

Well here is my first attempt at Gluten Free. Honey Blonde Ale, I have no idea how it is going to turn out.

dscf0187.jpg

Cool. What was the recipe? Let us know how it is.

GF Honey Blonde Blonde Ale
Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.08 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients
6.00 lb Sorghum Syrup (3.0 SRM)
1.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min)
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (10 min)
1.50 lb Honey (1.0 SRM)
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05)

Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.99 %
Bitterness: 27.6 IBU
Est Color: 2.2 SRM

I may have boiled the Sorghum a little too long, and I probably should have used stronger hops.
I really have no idea how this is going to turn out. The wort was really really sweet.

Specialkaye, please do note that there are threads here that are years-old. You bumped this one that's been abandoned for just shy of three years. I don't know if the brewer in question has info for you, but sending them a PM would be one option. You could also make a thread asking for advice, and link to archival examples.

Yup, saw the date only after posting. That's what happens after midnight and a couple (few) too many. But, I would still like to know how it came out. Thanks.

Back