Maris otter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimrod3388

Reaction score
I was looking to use some maris otter as a base malt for a Terripan Golden Ale clone. I never used this base malt before but what can I expect in a golden/cream ale. Torrified wheat and flaked corn and munich and vienna malts will be used also. Any experiences anyone is willing to share? Thanks.

you just mentioned some of my favorite grains!

marris otter is grainier and maltier than US 2-row. torrified wheat gives a nice, malty wheat flavor. flaked corn will lighten the body. munich and vienna will both add different wonderful malty aroma and flavor.

i'd love to see the recipe!

I just used MO as the Base Malt for the first time last week..it was a modified version of Charlie Papazian's Ordinary Bitter recipe in his book....

I've usually only used MO in conjunction with 2-row. SO I am excited to see how it will turn out.

I love Marris Otter as a base malt for pale ales. I have an Ordinary Bitter recipe I designed with the help of Ray Daniels with MO and Munich malt that is wonderful.

Maris Otter is one of my favorite base malts. I've used it as a base for everything from ESB's to Imperial Stouts. It has a great malty flavor that's perfect for a golden ale.

I just used Maris Otter for my entire grain bill and will report in three weeks when I put it in the keg what it tastes like. As others said, very malty flavor and a beautiful golden color. I have a friend that uses it as a base for all of his beers, and I am a huge fan of his stuff.

I love Marris Otter as a base malt for pale ales. I have an Ordinary Bitter recipe I designed with the help of Ray Daniels with MO and Munich malt that is wonderful.

Any chance you'd be able to share it in the Recipe section? I'd like to try it.

EDIT: Wait, maybe I found it. Is this it? Redden Bitter

It sounds quite good. I love Ray Daniel's book Designing Great Beers. I've learned a lot from it.

Maris Otter is a work horse for us.
We make a killer wheat beer 50% Maris Otter and 50% Wheat.
last batch i put in .25 lb dark malt and called it a brown Wheat

That was for a 15 gallon brew

Any chance you'd be able to share it in the Recipe section? I'd like to try it.

EDIT: Wait, maybe I found it. Is this it? Redden Bitter

It sounds quite good. I love Ray Daniel's book Designing Great Beers. I've learned a lot from it.

That's the one! I'm making it again this Saturday. My first batch of this was my best ale yet. I'd love to know what you think of it if you make it.

So I got a sack of Maris Otter in a group buy and went to make a SMaSH with it. The grain seemed darker than my normal 2-row base when crushed. I have a pic of the wort drawn off the tun and the grain. *note: these are taster size mugs. The gravity was also crazy low too, weird. I am wondering if this was not a sack of MO, but crystal 20 or something. What does the bru-munity think?

2015-03-13_09-09-21_842.jpg

2015-03-13_09-09-30_614.jpg

You're resurrecting a 6 1/2 year old thread here, but okay. I agree that looks pretty dark. Here is a pic of my last MO smash.

clear beer 4 wk 1.jpg

Back