Love Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SporkD2

Reaction score
I am having problems wiring this Love Controller for my fermentation fridge.

I have 7 and 8 Power Supply

9-NC
10-COM
11NO

I have no idea what I am doing, can anyone help me? I have a extention cord cut and ready to wire

I would think the extension cord hooks up to 7 & 8...black + white -

Then 11 & 10 for the compressor relay off your fridge...

Do you know which wires you need to hook up to the controller from the fridge?

I'm sure someone else will chime in with more advice....

9-NC
10-COM
11NO

I have no idea what I am doing, can anyone help me? I have a extention cord cut and ready to wire

You are going to use pins 10 and 11. Do you have a picture of the wiring diagram on the fridge? It is probably on the back or some thing. If not put a model # of the fridge and we might be able to find something.

You really want to use the relay circuit the thermostat in the fridge uses. So get us some diagrams :)

Here's what I used.

love_ts13010_16a_wiring.jpg

Ed, That will work. However as a mater of practice it is better to put the Line on the NO pin and the Common to the fridge. This way power isnt on the NC pin when the relay is de-energized.

using that diagram and the icons on my diagram I believe I figured it out. When I hold the set button however it gives me 0 and I can select 255 - 0. Is that the temp I want? I dont understand the programming portion

9-NC
10-COM
11NO

Take the black wire from the wall and put it on 11, then take the black wire from the fridge and put it on 10. Tie the white wire from the wall and the fridge together. Land the black and white wires from the wall onto pins 7 and 8.

This project is finally in my near future. Is this the Same model Love Controller everyone is using? I went to Love's website but CRAP, they have lots of products!!

One last question, is the probe that comes with these things water proof? I was thinking about sanitizing it and putting it right into the primary so I can maintain internal temp.
I have heard lots of people say put it into a jug of water, but a jug of water will cool much faster then 5g of beer. So do I need to waterproof the probe / wire in order to do this?

One last question, is the probe that comes with these things water proof? I was thinking about sanitizing it and putting it right into the primary so I can maintain internal temp.
I have heard lots of people say put it into a jug of water, but a jug of water will cool much faster then 5g of beer. So do I need to waterproof the probe / wire in order to do this?

NO, you need a thermowell for that. I just tape it to the side of the fermenter till you get one.

I'm not sure if they are waterproof and the site is down right now. You could use a stopper thermowell from B3, but you will have to file down the coating on the probe to make it fit. This is from LonnieMac in the Brutus thread:

"That darn vinyl they paint on the probes! I should have mentioned that the vinyl coating renders these probes useless for a .250" thermowell. I removed the coating with ease down to the nice .250" brass probe awaiting underneath! A small bastard file and/or a bit of sandpaper did the trick nicely. Why they do this I don't have a clue, but they fit the thermowell's great with the coating removed with no degradation in accuracy. They must think it looks cool! Take it off... It works great!"

Alternatively, you could get some slightly larger diameter tubing and make a thermowell out of that. Get a double tapped stopper or use a two hole carboy cap. You can use JBweld to seal one end if you trust their word that it's non-toxic, which I did.

phpThumb.php

I'm planning on wiring up my love controller today. As an extension cord, I have an air conditioner cord. I just went to strip the cover off the wires though, and there is one green wire in the middle and two uncovered wires on each side. I don't have a test light or anything to test which one is ground and which one is hot - should I run out and pick up a regular extension cord?

edited edit: thanks orfy!

Okay, on closer inspection, the outside wire cover says "green wire for grounding only", so that would mean the one in the middle would be the ground. When I'm looking at an outlet, which of the 2 plugs is hot? Left or right one, with the bottom one being the ground.

EDIT: Nevermind.

Back